Greetings from El Paso for now!

DirtyMedic

Well, I guess I kinda skipped over this part. Anyways, hello everybody! I’m currently in El Paso and will be doing my first bit of actual spot and stalk hunting here in the area. I’m originally from Arkansas, where we only have white tail and it’s always been kind of sit in a stand and wait. The idea of getting close enough to shoot them without them knowing seems more challenging and I’d feel like I truly earned that meat, if that makes sense? Anyways, I look forward to learning from the wealth of knowledge here!

The idea of getting close enough to shoot them without them knowing seems more challenging and I’d feel like I truly earned that meat, if that makes sense?

That makes perfect sense. I've had elk feed right up to my boots before. Deer? Not so much. They're very cagey. It's easy to shoot animals at a distance, but to have an experience with one up close is priceless. I've never taken a long shot at an animal before actually. They've all been under 100 yds and most under 20 yds. You don't have to wait till hunting season to practice getting close; you can do that now and learn volumes. PS. Don't go out in the desert now tho. JJA means the desert is off limits. You'll die, maybe. Just don't ok? Wait till Sept when it cools.

That makes perfect sense. I've had elk feed right up to my boots before. Deer? Not so much. They're very cagey. It's easy to shoot animals at a distance, but to have an experience with one up close is priceless. I've never taken a long shot at an animal before actually. They've all been under 100 yds and most under 20 yds. You don't have to wait till hunting season to practice getting close; you can do that now and learn volumes. PS. Don't go out in the desert now tho. JJA means the desert is off limits. You'll die, maybe. Just don't ok? Wait till Sept when it cools.

Oh I am definitely waiting a little bit, it’s not as bad as where I was last year as far as the heat goes, but I still don’t want to go walking around out there! I think my longest shot on a whitetail was around 340. Closest being about 15. The short one was a surprise. I was walking from one stand to another and a big doe walked out. She was in the truck shortly thereafter.

Welcome from another transplant to El Paso. Not sure why you would stay out of the desert right now. It isn't even that hot this last week. I am headed out to do my first bit of scouting this weekend for the mule deer tag I drew in NM.

Welcome from another transplant to El Paso. Not sure why you would stay out of the desert right now. It isn't even that hot this last week. I am headed out to do my first bit of scouting this weekend for the mule deer tag I drew in NM.

It’s just a heads up. The desert doesn’t forgive in the heat and single digit humidity. Water is life so take 3x’s more then you normally would. Not only for yourself but someone else who may need it badly. Going to really be a scorcher next week. Be safe out there.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back