Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Greetings from Central Texas

JDMickTX

Hello from a new big-game hunter here in the Central Texas area. I've been an intermittent pig/varmint/dove hunter for awhile, but hunting was never my main focus until this past fall. I had never had a place to go deer hunting and my parents, while being big on guns, weren't hunters. After a successful dove season, the first that I'd really focused on in over a decade, my deer tags kept tugging at me.

I finally decided to stop making excuses and get after it. The goal for my first season wasn't to have any big trophy; it was simply "get a deer in the freezer." I got a late start to the season (first hunt was after Thanksgiving), and had to start from scratch on most things, including a new deer rifle and some gear. I was blessed to find a couple of good opportunities with family and co-workers so didn't have to pay for a lease, and my wife was supportive of my sudden hunting addiction.

When the season came to an end this past weekend, I was fortunate to have tagged two does and a spike. Again, no great trophies, but I'm very happy to have been able to reward my effort and my wife's patience with a freezer full of meat for the coming year. The amount of joy (and stress relief) that I found while sitting in a peaceful stand in the woods or hiking down a trail was eye-opening, and I loved every second of it.

People like the hosts of Wired to Hunt have helped me catch up while also setting reasonable expectations, and watching/listening to Randy Newberg has opened my eyes to the opportunities to hunt big game in this great country, and do it on your own. I'm already planning a Sitka blacktail hunt in southeast Alaska this fall with a friend who moved up there years ago, and eyeballing Elk tag draws for sometime after that. I've already been browsing this forum and have found plenty of good advice and good pictures to inspire me in the meantime.

Welcome! I lived in Texas for a while and did some hunting there. Tough for a public land guy but there’s a few spots. The atlas they put out is super helpful. Where in Central TX?

Where in Central TX?

I live in the country east of Temple, south of Waco. My hunting was all west of Temple north of Belton Lake or down in the San Saba area. I’m already working on lining up a couple of other hunting opportunities for next season, and would like to try at least one archery hunt on public land this year, probably one of the national forests east of me.

When I was in Ft Hood there was construction between Waco and Killeen that seemed like it went on for years. It was still going on in 05 when I finally left. UGH

Gotcha. When I was down there they had an archery only public land aoudad and pig hunt in Burnett. I think that was in Feb. if I remember. There was also a place NE of Austin...Granger lake maybe? For gun deer we always went to Sam Houston NF. I enjoyed huntingbdown there a lot!

Last edited:
Welcome, I have had many great times at Belton lake. El Azteca in Killeen has the best marinated carne asada I have ever had. You could check into hunting the ft hood training areas too. Free to military, not sure how much civilians pay but waaay cheaper than any lease.

Welcome. Take a look at TPWD sight for drawn hunts. There are a lot of opportunities there. The info normally comes out in June or July. The application is super cheap. Some of the draw odds are long, but some are not to bad.

Howdy and welcome from Pflugerville, TX. My favorite kolaches are from east of Temple (Green's Sausage House!) I try to make excuses to stop by there whenever I can. Let me know if I can help with anything!

Howdy and welcome from Pflugerville, TX. My favorite kolaches are from east of Temple (Green's Sausage House!) I try to make excuses to stop by there whenever I can. Let me know if I can help with anything!

That’s the landmark that most people know in my neck of the woods. I actually live about a two-minute drive from Green’s. I would have had them process my deer for me this year but they’re closed Sundays and don’t have a drop-off cooler for after hours!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back