Grandpa's buck 1927- Michigan

Just Steve

My grandpa is the man on the left in the picture, he was hunting with his brother in law (other gentleman) and shot the buck in the picture. He had it mounted and it was in grandmas attic for years after he passed, then about 10 years ago my dad had it re-caped as it was all falling apart from the years. Currently I have both the picture and the mount hanging proudly in my living room. When I'm gone they will be passed on to the next generation.
I love to see the attire they wore back in the day.....can anyone tell from the picture what the rifles are?

Attachments

• GGPA.jpg
    GGPA.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 1,919
  • Gpa.jpg
    Gpa.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,912
Cool photo & nice buck!

Rifles appear to be a Winchester 94 (?) with Grampa & a Remington Model 14.

Thanks Ben, I'm glad you could identify them. I asked my dad if he knew what ever happened to these rifles since our family tends to hold on to such things and pass them down to the next generation.....but he didn't know.

That's cool. What do you think diy. NO guide,no scentkiller,no rattling horns,no guad,no 1,000 yard rifle.

Unfortunately my Grandfather decided to hand down his rifle to a cousin of mine who no longer hunts. Additionally his wife has converted him into a "liberal" and I have a feeling that a firearm would not even be allowed in their home so who knows what happened to it. A few years ago when his family all decided to eat only organic foods I suggested to him in jest that he should start hunting again because it doesn't get any more organic. The family looked at me like I had three heads.

Interestingly enough my Grandfather (who turns 88 on Saturday) regretted giving away his rifle after a season or two and found the desire to hunt again. He was too proud to ask for his rifle back so he had me find him a cheap used gun. His only requirement was that it was a 30-06 which is the caliber he always hunted with. I was able to dig up a used Savage for him which he used for 2-3 years before deciding again that he no longer had the physical ability to hunt, and then handed that rifle down to me. I kept it around for a year or two just to make sure he wasn't going to hunt again. I never used it since I already have a few other rifles to hunt with and circumstances arose that I needed to purchase a duty gun for my job as a probation officer. I asked him if it would be alright if I traded the rifle in on a duty pistol and he gave me his blessing since the rifle didn't really have any sentimental value to either of us.

Of course, the next year the bug bit him again(which made me feel a bit guilty) although his knees were pretty much shot, so he ended up borrowing an old 1917 Eddystone Enfield 30-06 from my father and hitting the woods. We set him up on the edge of a field about 200 yards from the house which was all the further he was able to walk. I shot a buck that year and as I was dragging it out I heard a shot ring out from his direction. He later told us that he took a wild shot at a running buck across the field and that he didn't even know how big it was, but only knew that he saw antlers. Luckily we searched the area and found no sign that he hit the deer (there was fresh snow on the ground). After that we all decided that Grandpa shouldn't be hunting anymore. He still buys his license and a doe tag every year out of tradition.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back