Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

grand canyon trip???

Livnthegoodlife

we are planning to go visit the grand canyon this summer and wanted ideas about what is the best things to do for the money. kids will be coming with and they are 8-17. Plan to be there for 3-5 days camping before heading on to do some deep sea fishing in cali.

goto the north rim, the view is 100 times better, there are animals everywere to.

Delw is 100% correct, you can even find some camping [tent] spots right on the rim... places that are free... no entry gate etc,etc....and if you do go in the "official park" you will find less people...try sowets,jump up points... the west or east offer great camping ,hiking. get the latest north kaibab map.

Everything on the north rim is free except the national park. If you get a map of the Kaibab Plateau, you will see Sowats Point and Jump Up Point. Sowats is on the south end of the main plateau adjoining the national park. Jump Up point is farther west on the second level plateau. (North rim is in three levels) I recommend some areas just north of Sowats around Indian Hollow or Burnt Corral Ridge. You are high enough in the summer that the weather is cool and you don't have any flying critters. Lots of deer and maybe a few Elk. There are lions up there also. Use Jacob Lake Lodge as a point of reference. Everything (the main roads) enters the North Kaibab through there. :cool:

How crowded is the south rim these days? Haven't been there since 1969...still one of my favorite trip memories.

How crowded is the south rim these days? Haven't been there since 1969

probably a lil more crowded these days....motels resturants and Pubs now have running water and indoor plumbing. :D

Jezzus you're old... :D

We did the south rim 5-6 years ago, but it was in late March. Not many people around when we where there.

Why would you even consider seeing the Canyon from the rim when you can just raft down the river and see it the way all rivers should be experienced?

Why would you even consider seeing the Canyon from the rim when you can just raft down the river and see it the way all rivers should be experienced?

Jose makes a good point...Wish we could've afforded to do that back then.

Funny thing is you can't really "see" the canyon for much of a river trip because you will just be staring up at massive granite walls while floating through the inner gorge. An unparalleled experience nonetheless.

try sowets,jump up points
Beware... Sowats, Jumpup, etc are not places to take the family in a minivan. Be prepared for remote, at large, no-facilities camping with high-clearance/4WD access. If you are prepared for this type of thing, consider Pt Sublime and Swamp Pt on the North Rim also. For a dayhike with the kids without having to drive off pavement try the Widforss Trail. You will for sure want to go to Pt Imperial and Cape Royal also.

If you end up on the South Rim, just follow the mobs of foreigners around. :D

Enjoy the trip. A NP ranger once told me that the average time a visitor actually spends looking at the canyon is only 6 minutes. :eek:

I've floated Hells Canyon several times.... Way better and bigger :D :D

Just typing .... Carry on..... I have no Usefull info :(

Its a great trip Jose... But the views are better from the top [ north rim]... And even better is a hike from the top to bottom....but it is rough.

Take binoculars and camera, lots of wild critters around both the north and south rims.
North side has lots of deer, along with condors and lions. The south side is known for elk.

Back