PEAX Equipment

Gps

skeeterforme

I need to buy myself a good xmas present. I'm gonna get a GPS for hunting, what are some of the one's you out west guys like the best. I'm looking for one with good ability for sattelite mapping and hunting gps maps. As a MN guy I only have an IFinder with my Lakemaster chips for ice fishing, ha.

We all carry Rino 120`s,,they also have the radios in them so when you are in fairly even terrain you can talk to each other in your party

The 62 series if you want OK screen size and push buttons, Montana for their largest screen and touch screen. All their new stuff will map. I wouldn't bother with pre loaded maps but the sd cards hunting maps will set you back $100 per state.

Do you guys prefer the SD chips or the downloadable maps from huntinggpsmaps.com type of sites?

Cabelas just had the Oregon 450 on sale for $199.00.

I picked one up; we'll see how it works.

Cabelas just had the Oregon 450 on sale for $199.00.

What he said. This is a great unit, and I guarantee you won't find it for cheaper. I have the hunting gps maps on mine, and it works great. I think that sale ends today or tomorrow. I would jump all over it.

Ya the Garmin Oregon 450 with the hunting maps chip. Only way to go. I have MT and will be getting WY for my hunt there next year.

I picked up a Garmin 62s at the beginning of the season and one of the SD cards for Montana from http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/ and I couldn't be happier. For what it is worth, the boyz at Hunting GPS maps use the 62 series GPS. The satellite reception is excellent, didn't lose coverage once this year.

I have the etrex 20 with sd cards for Colorado and Wyoming. FWIW I prefer the chip over download simply for the ability to use in another GPS.

What he said. This is a great unit, and I guarantee you won't find it for cheaper. I have the hunting gps maps on mine, and it works great. I think that sale ends today or tomorrow. I would jump all over it.

+1 on that . Have the unit, love it

I have a Garmin Oregon 450 and really like it. Pretty affordable too.

i just picked up that 450 at cabelas,,,with the gps maps chip it looks like it will be real nice considering it was only 199,,,was on the fence debating about the 62 st but for the price im gonna give the oregon 450 a try,,,impressed with the mapping clarity compared to my hcx that i had.

I'll also recommend the Garmin 62st and the montana hunting sd card. This was my first year using it and it worked awesome. I personally liked the push button setup of this unit when it gets cold out and im wearing gloves.

The Rhino is what I want, but was going to ask for feedback on that Oregon 450, as I saw Cabelas had it for $199! Perfect timing for this thread, hoping Christmas comes early.

So belly-deep, please let me know what you think, and thanks much in advance.

My hunting buddy and I have the Garmin Rino 530HCX model and both of us love them. Cuts down on using a radio and a GPS. Plus you don't even have to speak to each other to transmit your location when you are hunting within a mile or two of each other. Just key your mike and you show up on your buddy's screen.

I had an old Legend and upgraded to the newer Garmin Legend HCx with the Wyoming chip for my annual Wyoming hunt this Fall. I found the chip to be excellent as it was never outside 10' on every boundary or surveyed section and corner post I found out there. You really can't go wrong with it and I was able to take an 80" antelope on public ground that was within a couple hundred yards of private property. I probably would not have hunted there without that chip showing me right where I was at all times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back