Gps

inthemud

I am looking at making the jump and purchasing one of these. I am not really familiar with them. I was wondering if any of the group could steer me in the right direction. Mainly what should i be looking for in a GPS.
I will be using it mostly backpacking on foot and on horseback and Hunting of course.

Thanks in advance for all of the help.

Mud

I love my Garmin 60csx. But, you can get by with a unit that costs a lot less. Or, you might check out the new Delorme Earthmate. It's capable of storing and displaying topographic maps and aerial photes, both of which are available from Delorme. Garmin really doesn't have any good maps available for their units yet, and I'm a little disappointed in that. It really depends on how much you want to spend.

GPS units are all pretty similar in the basic functions.

But one thing that I have found to be very useful is to have an electronic compass in the unit. That way you can get a bering without moving your position. Also a model that allows you to upload and download your waypoints or trips to a mapping software. That way you can plan your trip and load it into the GPS to follow. Or if you find something or want to remember how you got somewhere you can download that trip for later use.

My son and I have several different types of Garmin units and they all work very well. A friend has a Magellan unit and that is also pretty easy to use. The Magellan aquires the satellites faster and under more adverse conditions but the Garmin units seem to have more features, are smaller and weigh less.

I don't think I'd put a whole lot of confidence in the maps displayed in the GPS units. They are only a general reference. You should always carry a full map and at least one standard orienteering compass with you in the field. I wouldn't trust everything to a battery operated GPS without a manual backup.

Hope that helps a little.

I'm looking into getting one as well. I don't think I need the mapping softwear. I generally always have a map, and if I can pin point where I'm at on it I'll be good to go.

The one I'm looking at right now is the Garmin Etrex. Pretty inexpensive and does what I want one to do.

I threw a MAGELLAN Explorist 200 in my pack a few years back. Was cheap, easy to use, and (knock on wood) has functioned w/o problems in all types of weather.

the Garmin GPSMap 60cs are very nice. They have the capability of downloading and storing color topo maps and also have an electronic compass which is very nice. Without the electronic compass you have to be moving at a pretty good pace before the compass will orient itself correctly. You can pick up factory reconditioned units w/ mfg warranty on ebay for around $200.

Have been toying with the neighbors BUSHNELL ONIX 200 GPS this morning- he got it on ebay NIB for $157. The screen layering ROCKS! Being able to overlay sat images on your waypoints is waaaaay cool! I'd take a look for those who are in the market hump

I would like to thank you all for your help on this. I am looking at the Garmin 60cs on ebay right now they have some pretty good deals on refurbished ones. Does anybody have any expierance with the refurbished ones? They come with a one year warrenty from the manufacturer.

Thanks again for all of your help

Mud

Here is one for sale on another board:

Magellan explorist 210 compact gps handheld.
Built in basemap.
22 mb available memory.
High speed USB data port.
Mapsend software DVD included.
High contrast LCD screen with backlight and zoom.
Water resistant.
Brand new still in the box.
Sticker still on the box for $159.99
Will sell for $100.00

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?p=1553949#post1553949

I Have a Garmin Rhino 130 and i love it. Its not only a GPS but has Radio transmitting and recieving features. You can buy Garmin GPS's on E bay for some pretty good prices, BUT im told that garmin wont honor warrantys from units bought from them, they will only honor warrantys from authorized outlets and E Bay isnt one of them, Check it out before you buy.

I have to second the Garmin RINO. I have the 120 (less memory). Having the radio and GPS in one unit is great. If I had to do it over again, I would go for something like the RINO 520. It has a color screen, tons of memory, and a NOAA Weather radio to go along with the regular "walkie-talkie"

I have the Extrex Legend. It's pretty simple to use. I like having the mapping software on it- I can mark spots of interest and then dump them on my computer for later use. The compass feature is slow to react from the satellite. I use a regular compass when I definitively want to know my direction.

Well I bought a Garmin 60 cs so far so good.
Thanks for all help and advice.

Mud

Anyone ever use a Brunton GPS?

I have a certificate for 50% off, but don't know much about GPS units. Rather buy a know commodity at full price than an unknown at half price.

My wife just bought me an Etrex for my birthday. Does everything I was looking for and more. Even a techno simpleton like me can figure it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back