Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

gps abuse

quail hunter

So just to change the subject,
I've been noticing that the "gps" is being used as a hunting,fishing tool.
People are using them to mark roosting trees, quail areas, dove tanks,fishing holes, just about any areas that hold deer or game animals.
Another make life easy tool being abused to take game? Might have to make another law regarding these?

Well, GPS units don't destroy habitat, displace wildlife, increase erosion, or increase the size of one's ass. I don't see the correlation between them and ATVs?
confused.gif
wink.gif

Oak

Ummmmmm, even though I had a good laugh at the ass line, still laughing as I peck this out..was'nt comparing them to atv's.
Was just trying to see what was thought about using them for marking game.

Sorry Quail Hunter, I guess I jumped the gun, so to speak.
wink.gif

I don't have any problem with using GPS units for hunting, as long as they're not being used in conjunction with airplanes or chute planes to mark game from the air. If someone works to locate game, and wants to mark it so he can find the same spot in the future, more power to him.

Oak

Well if we didn't have GPS, we would mark locations on maps(paper)the old fashioned way. Really not a whole lot different, other than a guy may have to use his brain a little more. I guess there's a guy in Colorado who sells GPS coordinates to locations where he has seen deer/elk. Almost seems like cheating, but then hiring a guide to take you to the game is no different. Nice thing about GPS is being able to hunt public lands that are surrounded by private, and knowing with confidence that you are on the right side of the line.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-03-2003 15:33: Message edited by: Washington Hunter ]</font>

then dont use a compass or maps either. In fact, from the time you leave your home to hunt you should walk, not drive. And only hunt with stcks and stones. Get real

Erase your memory of every place you have seen game or fish.
Don't hunt around crops, or natural food sources.
Walk to your hunting area, from your house or shelter.
Go naked you don't want to take advantage by being warm and dry.
Some people find to much to be concerned about.

I still use a map and compass. I find that in teaching hunter safety courses most adults don't even know how to use a compass anymore (probably why they don't hunt far from the roads).

I'm against GPS's and portable radios. A guy with a radio and GPS can walk other hunters into game just as well as an airplane.

I guess the big question is where do we (should we) draw the line?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-05-2003 11:01: Message edited by: Ten Bears ]</font>

Well I do have both a compass and a GPS. (Vipe bought me the GPS because I get lost going to the bathroom
rolleyes.gif
).

But since I mainly hunt in places where I can walk out within a half hour (If not less) neither do me much good. The GPS helps me pass the time away while waiting on stand. The compass helps point my way out.

I think the GPS is a good thing for marking your camp and the spots you would like to set up at once you have already scouted the area. Finding that spot in the dark can be interesting at times.

I use maps, compass, gps...
They all have their places...
You just can't pin point to extremely close proximities with a map, nor tell search and rescue where the victem is, A gps doesn't work well in timber but a compass does, and the map gives a clear picture with the other two tools to tell where you are and where you intend to go.
Of course we could go to hacking marks on trees again....
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back