"Got Treedogs?"

GatoMan

Well I don't make to many posts mostly because of time, but since moosies brought up the recent subject of not needing this forum I thought I would add something to it, maybe to generate a little spark or keep moosie happy, since after all he is a pretty good fella.

This springs been real late here in Idaho, an above average snowpack has kept me from going several places I normally do. I been busy this spring..shipped one dog to utah and had 2 shipped up to me..couple of Catmans dogs I am hunting for him on bear this summer and bred my best dog to a male over on the Oregon coast. I been running around everywhere this spring mostly in circles it seems. Anyways finally I am back in the mode of hunting. Thought I might share a few pics from this last sunday....

After rigging around till about 11 in the morning I finally got a decent strike, I let my stike dog loose and back down the road she ran 20 yds, made a hard 90 and left the road barking every breath, I knew at that point things were going to heat up in a hurry...since I have sold one of my dogs, have another one of my dogs layed up from being breed and another dog in heat right now, my packs pretty small at this point. I only had 2 of mine and one of catmans with me this day. After my stike dog bailed off I let her line it out 50 yrd and cut the other 2 dogs left into her. It did;nt take long before they was jumped and running full tilt..they made a few short laps in a reprod area and was puttin the heat on pretty fast and heavy...my rugar dog had the gas petal mashed and was throttling this bear to redline. The dogs kept dropping down lower towards me and I happened to look up and see the bear hit the bark...its pretty rare to see them go up so that was neat. Anyways heres a few pics of the dogs plastered on the side of the wood, I believe if they had treed any longer the forest service would have made me get a firewood permit for chopping the tree down...lol

This is a young male of mine and one of catmans females
rug-nik1.jpg

Heres a pic of my strike dog
mol11.jpg

Heres a pic of Catmans dog I am hunting for him
nikki22.jpg

Heres just a pic for the heck of it...this was yesterday...this drift is still 15 ft high and is keeping me out of some of the country I normally hunt this time of yr....anyone wanna volunteer to help me shovel???....LOL
drift.jpg

Well by no means am I a serious houndsman, but I do have a very nice 1 1/2 year old female bloodhound. :D

GATOMAN, that was a good story and the pics are great. No thank you on the shoveling. That 3rd picture could pass for your signiture picture.

I noticed the branding of a B on the side of the hound, is that very common? It is a brand isn't it? Or is it some other type of marking?

Yes thats a freeze brand elkhunter, a preventative in case of theft etc, just like branding your cows, proof of ownership etc..theres some areas thats really bad for dog theives.

Great pictures gatoman !!!! can hardly wait till I can get some this year !!!Tobey and I partnered up guiding bear hunters this fall.We have 4 weeks booked ,2 hunters a week.I really like hunting where Tobey lives.NO posted signs and its a little less mountainous than where I live.Hes about 5 hrs from me.

Tobey...as time gets closer I might be able to know more but right now if infact she is breed shes only into it about 20 days, I hope she did catch and has a nice sized litter. The male I bred her to is a bay dog deluxe, absolutly won't quit a mean bear unless he gets hurt and hes also a pretty fair catdog on top of that. They should be some nice pups if things work out like I want them too. I'll keep ya in mind but can't promise anything...its way to early and I would like to keep what I can around here fairly close so I can have the opportunity to buy back any of them for breeding purposes latter down the road if I have too.I think I am going to try and buy a pup of comet from a different litter also so I can cross back over if things go right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back