Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Got my first good NM Deer tag

David658

Whiffed on all the other tags, but got 2B Muzzleloader deer. Unfamiliar with the country, except for the fishing I have done on the tailwaters on the San Juan. Now I have a new location to learn - my wife was all fired up to go scouting tomorrow. TOMORROW - I like that idea, but for having just got off the airplane and needing to get some chores done. But next Friday, we'll go take a look.

Any information anyone is willing to share on the generalities of the unit, or even specifics if you wish, is appreciated.

David
NM

We expect a story from this hunt! Bet it will be a fun hunt
I am thrilled because my wife was unable to hunt elk or deer last year, but her toe surgery was a success and now it's time to get in huntin' shape. I have been told by some friends that it is a fun hunt, and since I will be hunting with my favorite hunting buddy it will be even better!

David
NM

Whiffed on all the other tags, but got 2B Muzzleloader deer. Unfamiliar with the country, except for the fishing I have done on the tailwaters on the San Juan. Now I have a new location to learn - my wife was all fired up to go scouting tomorrow. TOMORROW - I like that idea, but for having just got off the airplane and needing to get some chores done. But next Friday, we'll go take a look.

Any information anyone is willing to share on the generalities of the unit, or even specifics if you wish, is appreciated.

David
NM
Congrats on the tag. That is one that I apply for as well.

Looking forward to seeing a story and pics from a successful hunt!

My guess would be that information is not terribly important. Lots of public land. Mostly similar terrain.

The one thing that might make information important is that the migrating bucks are 1-4 weeks out, so you’ll be hunting resident deer. I would ignore any information that comes from rifle hunters, as they had access to a lot of migrating deer that wont be there when you’re there.

I was having my boat inspected by a game warden a few years ago and he mentioned that some people hunt by boat on Navajo lake. I've been fascinated by that idea ever since. That might not be the best way to maximize trophy potential but sure would be fun.

Me and my son drew a 2B rifle tag,
DER-1-113Unit 2B Oct. 28–Nov. 1 Standard

We dont have a clue???

I was having my boat inspected by a game warden a few years ago and he mentioned that some people hunt by boat on Navajo lake. I've been fascinated by that idea ever since. That might not be the best way to maximize trophy potential but sure would be fun.
The idea does sound fun, and I actually talked with somebody that did this a few years ago who said it was indeed fun, but that in hindsight it didn't gain him any advantage because of the extensive road networks. Basically, he boated across only to encounter a bunch of other hunters that just drove in to the same places from the other side without having to pay any State Park fees. It would be fun to fish for a few hours in the middle of the day though.

2 b is decent but i wouldnt get overly excited about it//deer seem to be hard to find during the muzz season when i had it some years back//i had the rifle tag a few years back and talked with many other folks that were not seeing big deer since the hwy to the north got many miles of game fencing installed in colorado has pretty much blocked off the migration that comes in late from the north//good luck.

I hunted the rifle tag a few years ago. When I talked to the warden/biologist he called the first weekend a beer can hunt (meaning when a hunter opens his truck door to shoot a deer from the road, beer cans fall out). Wasn’t far off. If you see the gas rig trucks chaining up on the gravel roads do the same before you need them.
As someone mentioned the rifle hunt is more a migratory hunt. You will want to be looking for resident deer.
I had fun watching guy’s trying to pull their big TT‘s up to the Mesa the day before the opener with the road mudded out.

Last edited:
I hunted the rifle tag a few years ago. When I talked to the warden/biologist he called the first weekend a beer can hunt (meaning when a hunter opens his truck door to shoot a deer from the road, beer cans fall out). Wasn’t far off. If you see the gas rig trucks chaining up on the gravel roads do the same before you need them.
As someone mentioned the rifle hunt is more a migratory hunt. You will want to be looking for resident deer.
I had fun watching guy’s trying to pull their big TT‘s up to the Mesa the day before the opener with the road mudded out.
I plan to keep the trailer low, and if we have to drive in early early we'll do that. Much more concerned about getting out than getting in, chains will be an investment before we head up there. The big Ford will stay with the trailer, we'll use the Xterra to get further in.

Cataract surgery on Tuesday, really looking forward to being able to see to shoot my muzzleloader. Not as simple a hunt as the regular rifle, but we will have fun. Since it starts on a Wednesday, we will camp up there the weekend before and have plenty of time to hunt. And to fish on the SJ.

David
NM

I plan to keep the trailer low, and if we have to drive in early early we'll do that. Much more concerned about getting out than getting in, chains will be an investment before we head up there. The big Ford will stay with the trailer, we'll use the Xterra to get further in.

Cataract surgery on Tuesday, really looking forward to being able to see to shoot my muzzleloader. Not as simple a hunt as the regular rifle, but we will have fun. Since it starts on a Wednesday, we will camp up there the weekend before and have plenty of time to hunt. And to fish on the SJ.

David
NM
Look south of the E/W highway.
and yes the SJ is a blue ribbon fishery. You might enjoy swinging by Abe’s and Fishheads…
BTW, I’m sure you will have fun. I saw a lot of bucks during rifle and not all of them had migrated in.

Last edited:
Look south of the E/W highway.
and yes the SJ is a blue ribbon fishery. You might enjoy swinging by Abe’s and Fishheads…
BTW, I’m sure you will have fun. I saw a lot of bucks during rifle and not all of them had migrated in.
My boss hunts the south end, we have a lot of time to scout and to decide, maybe even split north/south.
Sadly, Abe died, the place has been closed since the start of Covid. Family put it up for sale, but I think the price was too high, and it may well have been closed too long to have a real chance of ever opening again.

David
NM

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back