Got my first bird

kirkl

Got my 1st bird last week. A Merriam, around 17lbs, 8.5 inch beard, 5/8 inch spurs. Heres a couple pics.

Kirksturkey03.jpg

Kirksturkey203.jpg

KUDOS KIRKL !!!!! Good looking bird man !!

We went 0 this year for them
frown.gif
I guess we need to get out more
wink.gif

Heres the story.

Got to my spot and heard some gobling and a hen so i set up and called and they gobbled for a little while, then they shut up so i started walking in there direction and i get to a opening where i could look across a big canyon and see about 10 turkeys so i walk over in there direction to try and get above them. So i get up to about there level (150 yards away) and sneak up and take a peek and there still on the hillside eating and sunning. couple toms and jakes in the bunch. They werent making a sound so i get up on a road that should take me to the top of them and i get to the end and am standing there figuring out what i want to do when a hen walks out of some bushes about 40 yards away and i keep hearing something else in the bushes (it was the tom spitting and drumming) then i see a black spot starting to come out and it was the tom all puffed up. by this time im down on one knee ready for the shot, he needed to go about 4 feet for a clean shot. So he goes that 4ft and BOOM. dead tom.

Good Job Kirk. Looks like you got em your back yard though. You should have come over with Kevin and his family... Next year my oldest son should be coming with. There will be many a tags to fill. What area were you able to get that bad boy in?

Thanks all,

Cameron, I need to get up north one of these years to hunt those birds, never have made it up that way. Sounds like theres birds all over up there. Im not even sure of the canyon i was in but it was up in manashtash area. We got two birds out of yakima this year.

Ya there are a thousand areas to hunt them buggers up there. Maybe Jeff (sneakyjake) could give you some possible areas we all know that he loves to spend a couple of weeks there.. Does he ever use this site?

His name is Jeff Cook, he lives in the Tacoma area. He hunts in Colville area. He spent 2 weeks there during the opener. He guided for Bar Paw Outfitters. I think I will invite him over to this site. I dont think I have seen him on here, only South Sound Long Beards.

Cameron...

I ran into a couple of guys from Bear Paw Outfitters at a sports show here in Salt Lake earlier this spring. I was pretty interested in thier Turkey hunts, and wanted to go this year, but couldnt work out the timing with other hunts. I was wondering if you have heard much about them, and thier outfit. Any help you can give me would be much appreciated. Or if you have other suggestions about birds in WA.

Thanks
Todd

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back