Got a bit laxed on safty

mdcrossbow

Yesterday my son and I went out to our lease to gather firewood. I found a half dozen hickory trees that had been down for many years. Good and dry , long with 12" bases down to 4". Jarrod cut and I loaded. He started on the last one and it was wedged between 2 trees at the small end. It looked straight at about 25' long and I stood back behind him 6' next to the fallen tree while made the 1st cut. All of a sudden the tree released its engery. It throw me about 4 feet. If I had been standing about 2-3' from it it probably would have broke both my legs beneath the knee from the energy snap.
Defiantly a wake up call.
Today is my 40 anniversary and I'm thanking God I can enjoy this day.

Glad you're OK. I hate dropping trees or even big branches. I always have a couple buddies who are more experienced than me do it. I've learned that everyone stands behind what is falling. But that's the most dangerous spot. When the tree or branch kicks back it can be very hairy.

I've been cutting trees for 40 years. Some close calls. Nearly had my head caved in by a tree which whiplashed from the weight of the falling tree. It grazed my temple/ear , down my arm, and busted the saw.
Lots of tension situations.
Nowadays I cut/clear an escape path.
Hazardous activity, but sure is fun

Glad you escaped safely.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardMargarine
Back