Caribou Gear

Got a Bear Yesterday

Washington Hunter

[WRAPR]http://www.hunttalk.com/forums/gallery/files/1/May21Bear.jpg[/WRAPR]

Well, I've been hunting since April 15th, did lots of scouting and finally my brother and I were able to get set up in a good location and called a bear in with a fawn-in-distress call. Actually we called one in last Saturday also, but it didn't give me a very good shot and I missed it. Yesterday we got set up in a clearcut, sat on a stump, and began calling at 8 a.m. The bear showed at 9:15. I took him as he was standing up, at 200 yards. Shot him in the center of the chest, took out the top of his heart. He still managed to run 100 yards, down the hill of course, almost to the bottom, so because of that it took us most of the day to pack him out of there. He was about half the size of the one I missed last weekend, we estimate him to be just over 200 pounds. I will post a picture when I get a chance, or maybe Curly will, since all the good pictures are on his camera.

Way to go! I remember the posts about how hard it is to hunt bear in WA especially because you can't bait them! Congrats and I hope you have plenty of pics!!!

way to go. About time them critters are hitting the ground. Congrats. Sounds like you put your time in.

WH, I gave you a disk with the pictures from my camera.........so you can go ahead and post a pic from the disk.

You didn't miss that first bear last weekend. I went back out there this afternoon and I found the bear you thought you had missed. The coyotes had eaten most everything but the back and leg bones and part of the hide was still there. The coyotes must have dragged the head away. It was about 50 yards into the timber from the edge of the clearcut. Skeeter (my black lab) ran straight to it; of course it is a little stinky a week after it was killed. I got a picture for you, but there isn't much to see.

Thanks for posting the picture Curly.

Believe me guys, that bear is heavier than it looks! :D

We boned it out and I carried all the meat out on my back, but only about 1/4 mile. Curly carried the head and the hide (which was also very heavy just by itself.)

NIce pic 'cutey' :D :D :D ...seriously, nice bear. Looks like tough walking with all that lush jungle around.

WH that is a great bear. Very nice pics. You are right pics are deceiving. The hide and head are heavy also. Weighed mine whole and it was 248 live weight and skinned gutted it took head off and took it back out to meat cutter and it weighed 146 pds to get cut up. So he lost 102 pds.
Keep em dropping. How much more time do you have to hunt them? Going after anymore?

This was a special Spring season by permit only, so for now I am done bear hunting. But the general season opens August 1st, and I will buy another tag so I can go out again then. With no baiting or hound hunting allowed, the bears are really getting thick around here.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back