Got 5 preference points to burn...

Digital10

Lol...yeah, I'm looking waaaaay forward, but I will have 5 preference points to burn next fall (2018) for an elk hunt in Colorado. I am a resident and have been hunting with the plains elk tag and in unit 142 (PCMS) for the past four years. It is a hard hunt in dry country with steep canyons swamped with Piñon/juniper. I will be hunting there this fall, but I dream of the mountains.
Being a Colorado native, I want to hunt the mountains and I know that with 5 points I can pull a solid hunt.
Where should I look to go with my 5 points next year? I really want to take advantage of my options. My guide buddies are telling me to go muzzy. I'm looking to do a 5 day back country hunt. I am thinking GMU 49 (Buffalo Peaks).
Should I burn my points or build? If I use them where should I go?
Suggestions?

Last edited:
I'll be archery hunting 49 this year.I can give you a report when I return

If you're going to burn them there aren't any better options than 49. Colorado lacks in mid tier units for elk. You will find a solid hunt in 49.

For a resident 66 can be drawn for 0 points for all rifle seasons, 1 or 2 for archery and 3 for muzzleloader. 49 takes 4-7 points depending on the season. 66 is a solid unit but not very good unless you have an outfitter or pack way way in. 49 is harder to draw but you've got the points, and will give you much better odds at filling a tag. Take a look at the stats and you'll see that 49 has a much higher percentage of filled tags. Once you hunt 49 you could hunt 66 the next year or year after. Can't do that the other way around. Just my 2 cents

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back