Colorado Elk Point Options

HUNT JR

I am pretty well invested into my CO elk points - in the middle of no mans land. I have always had a unit that I wanted to hunt but I am 3-4 points away now as it sits. With the changes that seem to be headed down the pike, am I being wishful thinking I can get that tag in the next 5 years or so or am I SOL and going to have to look to a different hunt?

What’s point creep like for that hunt? What’s the trend over the last 3 years or so?

This year I bought my 11th point. Prior to last year it bounced between 11-13 to draw and last year jumped to 15. So it definitely jumped.

This year I bought my 11th point. Prior to last year it bounced between 11-13 to draw and last year jumped to 15. So it definitely jumped.
Bite the bullet, dump them where you can, and find some units to hunt every few years. I don't see you drawing your unit for many, many years.

I am pretty well invested into my CO elk points - in the middle of no mans land. I have always had a unit that I wanted to hunt but I am 3-4 points away now as it sits. With the changes that seem to be headed down the pike, am I being wishful thinking I can get that tag in the next 5 years or so or am I SOL and going to have to look to a different hunt?
We need more info. Do you have a different state to hunt elk in? If you have used them up to now that leads me to believe that you do. If so, I would stay after it and hope you catch it on an off year. 1-2 points is nothing for some units to jump around depending on the number of tags.

pretty easy to look at the draw recap and see how many people are ahead of you and how many tags are awarded per year, looking at most top-tier tags if you are two years out now you will probably stay a couple of years out for a bit even without changes, looking at a couple hunts in that range 2/3 of the tags go to random people jumping in with a ton of points, point holders a couple back are moving up pretty slowly...
that said, 11 is a rough place to be, you are a long way from the top tier, but you probably aren't going to be impressed by the tags you can draw...

We need more info. Do you have a different state to hunt elk in? If you have used them up to now that leads me to believe that you do. If so, I would stay after it and hope you catch it on an off year. 1-2 points is nothing for some units to jump around depending on the number of tags.
That is where I am leaning. I don't "have" to hunt elk in CO every year. I hunt all over and have just accumulated points in CO. I look at some units I could draw and they seem decent, but I also have heard a lot of good things about the unit I keep waiting for. Might wait all that time and not have that good of a hunt or comparable between what I could draw now.

I'm in a similar position with 15 points. I hunt 3rd season general in CO every few years, but elk hunt other places. I see them as rainy day points. Maybe for if my home state stops general tags or something. If you don't have to burn them, then wait.

But, know anytime the rug can be pulled out on the point system.

Last edited:
I'm in a similar position with 15 points. I hunt 3rd season general in CO every few years, but elk hunt other places. I see them as rainy day points. Maybe for if my home state stops general tags or something. If you don't have to burn them, then wait.

But, know anytime the rug can be pulled out on the point system.
Yep, no guarantees except that I can guarantee that 11 points for a non-res will be worth nothing sooner than they will be worth more.

I have 8 elk and 4 deer points. I’m not planning to use these points for a few more years, so will have 10 and 6 by the time I apply.

Hopefully I’m being realistic, but based on point creep Im looking at a unit that took 7 elk and 3 deer points last year. Time will tell, if I didn’t have other points to burn (and my boys vacation timing) then I would definitely be applying sooner rather than later!

But, know anytime the rug can be pulled out on the point system

Getting close to some good archery draw tags…..

Back