Goose Recipe

Nemont

I am always looking for ways to cook up all the geese we get, here is one that I just tried and it is a winner.

Breast, thighs and legs from 4 geese

Remove all fat, skin, blood shot and check for bb's, then brine in a solution of 1 cup Kosher salt and 1/2 cup sugar to a gallon of water. Cover the goose meat and let sit at least 24 hours.

After the brine rinse everything good and place in a large crock pot. Buy the cheapest 2 liter bottle of cola you can get and pour cola over goose and add one onion quartered, 5 whole garlic cloves, 4 large rough chopped carrots. Cover and turn crockpot on high and just let it cook on high until the meat is tender: 4-5 hours. Remove goose meat once it is done, discard all the veggies and cola. Let the meat cool so you can handle it and shred it like you would shredded pork. Make sure to remove all tendons and such from the legs and thighs.

Once the meat is shredded return it to the crockpot. Now this sounds crazy but you render about half of pound of pork fat, once rendered pour over the goose meat. You would think this would make it a grease ball but it doesn't, the dry goose meat is like a sponge. Now turn the crock pot on low, chop an onion and a medium sized shallot as fine as you can and put that in with th meat, mix in you favorite BBQ sauce and let it cook for another hour or two. Serve just like pulled pork.

I made a couple of big crockpots of this for a wild game feed and there wasn't any left with many returning for seconds.

Nemont

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back