Google Earth on Iphone with unit boundaries

nontyp

I'm sure other guys do this, but its not real straight forward, so I thought I would share how I use Google Earth on my Iphone and Ipad with unit boundaries overlayed. It isn't as functional as the desktop version of Google Earth but the convenience is nice

Step 1: Download the .kmz file for the unit you are looking at. They're available multiple places online. I got this one from toprut.

Step 2: Save to Files on your Iphone. I select my Dropbox folder. You may need to have Dropbox installed on your phone. I haven't tried it any other way.

1.jpg2.jpg

Step 3: Select the file you saved within the Files application to download it to your device

Step 4: Tap the upload button in the top right corner of your screen and scroll to "Copy to Google Earth"

3.jpg4.jpg

Google Earth will open showing your unit boundary.
5.jpg
6.jpg

Use the 3D button on the bottom left to get a good 3D view and Scroll around.

Let me know if you have any questions. I know its about as clear as mud.

I need to start doing this for my computer, I usually run a dual monitor with OnX and Google Earth.

I've been doing this with my phone on a trial basis and it works pretty decent. Another twist is to mark way points and other land marks in google earth, then save them as individual kmz files where they can be imported into your google earth phone map. Not as good as a gps but its pretty handy stuff. Also, you can plot elevation changes across the area which can be handy for analyzing drainage elevations.

Can someone instruct me how to do this on the computer? I always thought this should be possible but didnt know!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back