Caribou Gear Tarp

Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

I moved to Montana in 1975, and at that time grizzly tags were unlimited, over the counter, and cost $25. I lived north of Kalispell then and the Whitefish mountain range up there was open to grizzly hunting.

I used to buy a tag every year just hoping to find a bear on the gut pile of my elk. Just like the unlimited sheep tags back then, I didn't know how good a deal that was and I didn't take full advantage of it.
Those must have been the days. Even with how things are now, we are still lucky to have the opportunities that we have with the unlimited sheep tags. Only place in the lower 48 a guy can just go buy a tag, short of the auctions, and go have an opportunity at a ram. Hopefully we can keep it going for generations to come.

For us hunters just starting the unlimited hunts...........we just hope that the number of sheep we see exceeds the number of grizzly bears we see.
So far for me it’s even 0-0 😂 saw poo of both though so that’s a plus .... I guess

I moved to Montana in 1975, and at that time grizzly tags were unlimited, over the counter, and cost $25. I lived north of Kalispell then and the Whitefish mountain range up there was open to grizzly hunting.

I used to buy a tag every year just hoping to find a bear on the gut pile of my elk. Just like the unlimited sheep tags back then, I didn't know how good a deal that was and I didn't take full advantage of it.

Talking to my friends that grew up in Bozeman, they said that the grizzly tags back than were good in this area also. Towns like West Yellowstone and Cooke City had open dumps and people would go there in the evenings to watch the bears. First the black bears would come in and then just before dark they would act nervous and leave, than the grizzlies would come in. Nobody thought about shooting one, however I've heard rumors that one of the more popular posters on this Forum got his grizzly that way.
25-35 in the head?

Talking to my friends that grew up in Bozeman, they said that the grizzly tags back than were good in this area also. Towns like West Yellowstone and Cooke City had open dumps and people would go there in the evenings to watch the bears. First the black bears would come in and then just before dark they would act nervous and leave, than the grizzlies would come in. Nobody thought about shooting one, however I've heard rumors that one of the more popular posters on this Forum got his grizzly that way.
Gardiner dump was the real grizzly hot spot from what I've been told by one old timer.😉

It would appear that the largest ram in the overharvested HD501 was 15". My question is how does someone get to keep a ram harvested on the 18th. It's been discussed how much pressure 501 had at the opening and this report bears it out....5 Rams taken in 2 days, but the 6th one on 9/18 is a real head scratcher.

1608240567445.png

With a quick glance, this ram appears to earn the top honors this year...nice patience by the hunter. Anyone have a pic of it?

1608242437205.png

It would appear that the largest ram in the overharvested HD501 was 15". My question is how does someone get to keep a ram harvested on the 18th. It's been discussed how much pressure 501 had at the opening and this report bears it out....5 Rams taken in 2 days, but the 6th one on 9/18 is a real head scratcher.

View attachment 166611
From watching the quota daily this year it appeared the rams killed the 15th were not reported the exact day of harvest. If they were reported the 16th, despite being harvested on the 15th, the clock started then for the 48 hour closure which means the rams harvested up through that window were legally harvested and therefore totally legal to keep the 18th day ram. I talked to some packers on the trail on the 16th that were heading in to pack out what I believe are the first two rams. I was carrying a bear tag this year (yes the crazy guy bear hunting in an unlimited unit). The quota line wasn’t updated for those until the 17th which started the clock which closed down the 19th in 501 this year. A lot of guys have spent way more time in these units than me so I could be off here but that’s my understanding for how it played out in there this year.

From watching the quota daily this year it appeared the rams killed the 15th were not reported the exact day of harvest. If they were reported the 16th, despite being harvested on the 15th, the clock started then for the 48 hour closure which means the rams harvested up through that window were legally harvested and therefore totally legal to keep the 18th day ram. I talked to some packers on the trail on the 16th that were heading in to pack out what I believe are the first two rams. I was carrying a bear tag this year (yes the crazy guy bear hunting in an unlimited unit). The quota line wasn’t updated for those until the 17th which started the clock which closed down the 19th in 501 this year. A lot of guys have spent way more time in these units than me so I could be off here but that’s my understanding for how it played out in there this year.
Interesting. I would have thought the unit would have closed on that evening of the 17th or the morning of the 18th with the 2 rams down on the 15th.....but I didn't realize that there is some cushion in reporting your harvest. Thought it was same day.

Interesting. I would have thought the unit would have closed on that evening of the 17th or the morning of the 18th with the 2 rams down on the 15th.....but I didn't realize that there is some cushion in reporting your harvest. Thought it was same day.
Technically the regs are that you must call within 48 hours of the kill. I think that’s what happened this year just based off observation and then calling in and checking online watching the quota. Don’t quote me but if I remember right the first official signs online were the 17th with the closure being the 19th which would validate the theory.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back