Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

These are some of the bears that I managed to get pictures of while in the mountains surrounding Yellowstone.

Saw this bear on my first day of a 14 day solo sheep hunt. It spent a couple hours digging up ground squirrels right next to the main trail accessing the drainage. When it got tired of that, it headed up to the pass where my bivy camp was located. Luckily it didn't find my camp, but it did find the tree my food was hung up in and tore up the trunk of the tree and some of the ground around the base of the tree. I was shocked that it didn't break the paracord I had the food tied up with since there were claw marks all around where I had it tied. I went for water right at twighlight and while pumping water through my filter, I looked up and there the bear was 40 yards away staring at me. Thankfully I must not have looked or smelled like a good meal since my pistol and bear spray were on my pack 75 yards behind me back at camp.

A week later I was climbing up a ridge and looked up to see this bear coming straight down towards me. By the time I got my pistol unholstered it had turned enough that it ended up about 50 yards to the side of me. It sat down and took a break enjoying the view. I traded my pistol for my camera and got its attention so I could get this picture.

I wasn't very interesting so it kept on going a few seconds latter.

Late the following night this bear or another griz ended up waking me up while tearing into my pack that was leaning against a tree about 10 yards from my bivy sack. I yelled at it and it ran off a few yards. I spent the rest of the night sitting up in my sleeping bag with my rifle in my hands while it circled me. Between my exposed upper body freezing and the adrenaline from not knowing where the bear was other than when it walked through patches of moonlight, stepped on a stick, or the handful of times it huffed and stomped the ground, it was a long unpleasant night.

While working on a fire just south of Cooke City this griz came into our small fire camp a few times. Never caused us any problems but it did a bit of damage to some other nearby camps while the occupants were gone for the day.

Other random bears

Ive had a couple other close encounters with griz in those mountains that nearly resulted in a bear getting sprayed or shot, but I had other priorities than taking pictures of those ones. Definitely not a griz behind every tree around there, but there are plenty enough that people need to be very cautious and follow all guidelines while recreating in that area.

you must have a 3/4 ton truck behind you at all times towing your balls around. Holy smokes

I noticed, in the mirror this morning, that I am acquiring a verdurous hue as calendar pages have fallen away, leaving but a single thin barrier between today and September.

By now, your muscles ought be responding to strains imposed by pre-season scouting. Your maps might bear graffiti notations akin to "Here be RAMS!" Does your favorite rifle and load combination print sub-minute-of-angle groups?

I am envious of those now weighing and gleaning the essential elements of potential pack loads spread out upon living-room floors--more so of those who must contend with the chaotic interruption of rugrats while thus preoccupied.

To all sheep hunters and lovers of wild country: FARE WELL INTO THE MOUNTAINS! -- Do it now! Do it while youth, health and opportunity persist.

I haven't been on a single scouting trip yet but other things are falling into place. My Kelly Kettle Trekker arrived today and I can't wait to try it out at altitude. Learned about all I can about my new hunting loads at my 100-yard bench and it's time to go pester my neighbor about using his 1,000-yard range. Best of all I managed a 4-mile run this morning and never stepped on my tongue once. (Just over the horizon, the Beartooths laugh malevolently at the puny human.)

And don’t forget to leave room in your pack for a celebratory refreshment........chilled in a spring.84CFC4E4-7C86-4CD0-AA77-AE94B2B314FB.jpeg

And don’t forget to leave room in your pack for a celebratory refreshment........chilled in a spring.View attachment 147907

Shiner Bock certainly features an appropriate trademark. However, a small flask, or even a sample bottle, of Laphroaig packs more punch per ounce. Think of distilled spirits as a backpacking hunter's freeze-dried beer.

No it's because glass isn't allowed in waterways....think of that glass breaking and then someone walking in that water...jeez people be more respectful to our public lands. This isn't a joke...

No it's because glass isn't allowed in waterways....think of that glass breaking and then someone walking in that water...jeez people be more respectful to our public lands. This isn't a joke...
Who backpacks with glass? Aluminum cans all the way. Cold beer is not a creature comfort, it is a necessity.

These are some of the bears that I managed to get pictures of while in the mountains surrounding Yellowstone.

Saw this bear on my first day of a 14 day solo sheep hunt. It spent a couple hours digging up ground squirrels right next to the main trail accessing the drainage. When it got tired of that, it headed up to the pass where my bivy camp was located. Luckily it didn't find my camp, but it did find the tree my food was hung up in and tore up the trunk of the tree and some of the ground around the base of the tree. I was shocked that it didn't break the paracord I had the food tied up with since there were claw marks all around where I had it tied. I went for water right at twighlight and while pumping water through my filter, I looked up and there the bear was 40 yards away staring at me. Thankfully I must not have looked or smelled like a good meal since my pistol and bear spray were on my pack 75 yards behind me back at camp.
View attachment 142390

A week later I was climbing up a ridge and looked up to see this bear coming straight down towards me. By the time I got my pistol unholstered it had turned enough that it ended up about 50 yards to the side of me. It sat down and took a break enjoying the view. I traded my pistol for my camera and got its attention so I could get this picture.
View attachment 142391

I wasn't very interesting so it kept on going a few seconds latter.
View attachment 142392

Late the following night this bear or another griz ended up waking me up while tearing into my pack that was leaning against a tree about 10 yards from my bivy sack. I yelled at it and it ran off a few yards. I spent the rest of the night sitting up in my sleeping bag with my rifle in my hands while it circled me. Between my exposed upper body freezing and the adrenaline from not knowing where the bear was other than when it walked through patches of moonlight, stepped on a stick, or the handful of times it huffed and stomped the ground, it was a long unpleasant night.

While working on a fire just south of Cooke City this griz came into our small fire camp a few times. Never caused us any problems but it did a bit of damage to some other nearby camps while the occupants were gone for the day.
View attachment 142393

Other random bears
View attachment 142394

View attachment 142395

Ive had a couple other close encounters with griz in those mountains that nearly resulted in a bear getting sprayed or shot, but I had other priorities than taking pictures of those ones. Definitely not a griz behind every tree around there, but there are plenty enough that people need to be very cautious and follow all guidelines while recreating in that area.
That one near Cooke City reminds me of Capstick on Cape Buffalo...They look at you like you owe them money.

Got in a good scouting trip in this weekend! It was a great trip and awesome weather. Only down side was the dam mosquitos sucking us dry all day long. Went in Friday night and left the trail head at about 6pm and got to our camping spot about 9pm.

On the way in found about 15 ewes and lambs which made the trip successful right there! Took a couple pictures and headed on our way. About a mile later down the trail we stopped in some timber and had us a drink of water and started our way and as soon as we cleared the timber we ran into a griz about 70 yards away heading up the trail towards us. Luckily it was more afraid of us then we were of it and as soon as it saw us it turned and hauled ass off the trail. Looked like a smaller bear but super fat and healthy! Continued our way and got to our camping spot right as the sun was going down. Hung our food and pitched our tents ad crashed. It was a super calm night and surprisingly warm.

Got up the next morning and headed a mile up to a peak where we sat all day and glassed. Picked up bout 25 mountain goats, which all but one were nannies and kids, about 15 elk, and a handful of deer and one was a pretty dang good buck. Something I have never seen before was 6 or 7 gaits and 4 or five elk grazing about 10 yards away from each other. Awesome sight to see. We finally picked up three rams at dark! One was 100% legal and a shooter in my book, and the other two were younger rams. One of the younger rams was flirting with being legal but I couldn't quite tell. The only issue was those rams weren't in my unit. They were in a different unlimited unit but not by far so hopefully they make there way over to where i can hunt them. A lot can change in a month and a half!

The next day we headed out back to the trail head and glassed our whole way back. We picked up probably ten more goats so i'm thinking I better just go ahead and try and draw that goat unit! Saw a sow and a cub up high with the goats. There is for sure a lot of bears in that drainage. Seemed like everywhere we went we were walking over old tracks and bear shit. Luckily they all stayed away from us!

All in all it was a great trip and saw tons of game. Didn't see to many sheep but I didn't really anticipate seeing any so what we saw was a win. Hope everyone is getting out there and finding some sheep. Good luck everyone

Check your regs. Almost guaranteed this is illegal.

Whatever happened to common sense and basic consideration for others? Personally, I have no problem with cooling a glass-contained beverage or foodstuff in water. The person who secures their treats in a manner that prevents them being carried away by currents or wave action, and who packs the empties home, does not leave potential sources of cuts behind.

"Almost guaranteed" is that regulations won't stop those who simply don't give a shit. We all know of whom I speak: those same people who dump household trash and garbage, dead appliances and worse on any convenient roadside where and when they think they won't get caught, who drop all manner of containers alongside trails when they've finished with the contents no matter how remote or otherwise pristine the setting, who crap all around campsites and water sources and don't even have the innate decency of a cat to bury the disgusting evidence.

Even though I have, in the past, worked for the National Park System in both developed areas and backcountry and have generally enjoyed those experiences, I much prefer Forest Service Wilderness Areas and BLM lands for my own adventures. Beyond the prevailing prohibition on hunting, among the things I dislike about National Parks are the prevalent requirements to plan and adhere to an itinerary when backpacking, usually accompanied with designated campsites even in "primitive" areas.

It took a few experiences with vermin such as mice, ants and wasps in my twenties; but I eventually learned to not only avoid (as much as possible without being rude) other people in backcountry areas, but to select my campsites away from any evidence of previous camps--I've been a much happier camper ever since the realization.

I know I'm getting a bit off topic again, but I am hoping any old post will reinvigorate the thread. It's almost September and no sheep talk--what's up with that guys? Maybe y'all got your quarry spotted already and are just holding close to the vest?

Anyway, I submitted an offer on a bit over half a section near Drummond on Friday. I should know in a day or two if the offer will fly; and I'd appreciate it if the fraternity of UL sheep hunters wish me luck on the endeavor. I've been trying since 1982 to score some nice wooded acreage with live water in western Montana. Running out of time to do it, so I hope this is it. It will certainly locate me closer to the Absaroka Beartooth country with, I hope, less persistent wind. Plus, there's enough topography on the place to produce some super cardio workouts and never have to worry about embarrassing myself anywhere near a gym. I don't think the critters will mind my wheezing. It might even sound appetizing to a bear--I'll carry pepper spray just in case.

I know I'm getting a bit off topic again, but I am hoping any old post will reinvigorate the thread. It's almost September and no sheep talk--what's up with that guys? Maybe y'all got your quarry spotted already and are just holding close to the vest?

Anyway, I submitted an offer on a bit over half a section near Drummond on Friday. I should know in a day or two if the offer will fly; and I'd appreciate it if the fraternity of UL sheep hunters wish me luck on the endeavor. I've been trying since 1982 to score some nice wooded acreage with live water in western Montana. Running out of time to do it, so I hope this is it. It will certainly locate me closer to the Absaroka Beartooth country with, I hope, less persistent wind. Plus, there's enough topography on the place to produce some super cardio workouts and never have to worry about embarrassing myself anywhere near a gym. I don't think the critters will mind my wheezing. It might even sound appetizing to a bear--I'll carry pepper spray just in case.
Good luck with purchase Shines. I’ve been eagerly waiting for those making the trip this year to post. Good luck to all of them as well.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back