Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

Word I heard 502 is rougher than the rest with no real trails at all. Is this true?

Let's be honest. None of it is that hard. All you have to do is put on a heavy pack and hike strait up for miles and miles while seeing every type of weather available in the beartooths. Not seeing the problem here.

So I think I got my tag in the mail. Are we supposed to get paper tags this year? Last year my tag was bright yellow and looked really official. This year I have a piece of paper that looks pretty much the same but.......it just looks like a piece of paper. For $1250.00 you think it would come on gold stationary or something. Can someone let me know. Thanks..........not that I'll need it for tagging a ram but if a game warden stops me I want to be legal.

I originally regretted my decision to hunt 502 this year but I'm coming around to the idea. I've got some hare-brained plans on where to find sheep :D. Might as well make this as hard as possible!

My puppy feel thru. Now, with one less thing on the list, I am sitting here thinking, "Why didnt I just grab an unlimited sheep license?!!??11".

Ugh!

Shines back in the day when you were killing sheep in the unlimited areas may I please ask what kind of optics did you carry? scope, spotter and binos

C Bow and geetar, I'll try to answer you guys tonight with not just what I used back then, but the reasoning behind the choices. Moreover, I'll address what I intend to do differently if I ever get back to the pursuit of Ovis canadensis .

If I don't manage to make enough time tonight, please be advised that it might be well into the week before I do (lots of tasks ahead of me).

By the way, I only managed to take one ram in three ventures into the Beartooths. I made an embarrassing miss on one earlier in the successful hunt. The difference between scopes which I was previously accustomed to using and the one I carried on all three sheep hunts played into the miss--at least, that's my alibi. I related that event on page 21 of this thread, post #409, "MORE THAN ONE WAY TO MISS A RAM."

Last edited:
I "drew" the 303-60. Since I drew the 313-45 Elk tag I thought I should have a sheep tag in my pocket. Fingers crossed but this could be a fall of a lifetime weather dependant of course.
That was my strategy for a couple of years. Unfortunately I didn't put enough emphasis on the sheep hunting side, but I did take two bull elk out of there, including my second largest 6x6. Also, unfortunately, I didn't see any sheep in 303 while I was hunting.

Your 313-45 is good in 303 when you will probably be hunting sheep, however I think most people apply for that tag for a chance at a big bull migrating out of Yellowstone after Nov 15th when the General elk season ends in that unit.

That was my strategy for a couple of years. Unfortunately I didn't put enough emphasis on the sheep hunting side, but I did take two bull elk out of there, including my second largest 6x6. Also, unfortunately, I didn't see any sheep in 303 while I was hunting.

Your 313-45 is good in 303 when you will probably be hunting sheep, however I think most people apply for that tag for a chance at a big bull migrating out of Yellowstone after Nov 15th when the General elk season ends in that unit.
Thats my game plan. I am going to hunt sheep hard all season and if I come across a big bull I will probably punch my tag. I am trying to do a bunch of E-scouting now and see where previous rams were harvested. I think both tags will be weather dependant and migrating out of the park dependant haha We will see! Regardless I am excited to get out and chase some sheep with the opportunity to see some elk! Hopefully I can find some of those resident rams or ones that have come out of the park already.

That is interesting. So you are saying that if 100 people apply for the unit and only 50 people purchase the tag.......then they report 100 tags for the unit? I'm the type of guy that just bought the tag when I applied so do they count me even though I didn't "apply"? Good info. Sure seemed like there were a TON of people in the back country last year.
Its been over 20 years since I bought my last Unlimited sheep tag, but as I understand it, you can still purchase an Unlimited tag prior to the Application deadline, OR you can apply for an Unlimited tag as your first choice, AND you will receive a tag. The drawing statistics shown in the regs would only the number of applicants as the number of tags drawn, and the number of unlimited tags purchased prior to the drawing would be additional tags and not shown in the drawing statistics.

Shines back in the day when you were killing sheep in the unlimited areas may I please ask what kind of optics did you carry? scope, spotter and binos
Not Shines, but when I hunted the Unlimited units the rifle that I carried was my Mauser Mark X .257 Ackley with a Leupold M8 6x36 scope, shooting 117 grain Sierra GameKing bullets. My binoculars were Nikon Travel lite 8x23 or 9x24, and didn't carry a spotting scope. That's the same gear that I used on my Dall sheep hunt and on the hunts that I did in the Unlimited Unit 303 when I killed elk and not sheep. My longest shot on those 4 rams and 2 bull elk was 206 yards on the Dall ram.

Its been over 20 years since I bought my last Unlimited sheep tag, but as I understand it, you can still purchase an Unlimited tag prior to the Application deadline, OR you can apply for an Unlimited tag as your first choice, AND you will receive a tag. The drawing statistics shown in the regs would only the number of applicants as the number of tags drawn, and the number of unlimited tags purchased prior to the drawing would be additional tags and not shown in the drawing statistics.
This is correct. The draw stats show the people that applied. It doesn’t reflect the OTC purchases which would add tag numbers, but on the flip side, it doesn’t subtract applicants that never purchased the license. I think there are NR that ‘apply’ then in the interim between draw deadline and the July purchase deadline, they draw something else or get cold feet when the $1250 comes due and don’t follow through.

This is correct. The draw stats show the people that applied. It doesn’t reflect the OTC purchases which would add tag numbers, but on the flip side, it doesn’t subtract applicants that never purchased the license. I think there are NR that ‘apply’ then in the interim between draw deadline and the July purchase deadline, they draw something else or get cold feet when the $1250 comes due and don’t follow through.

Love the NR that get cold feet!!!!!!!!! That is why I buy the tag day one........it is my priority. You aren't going to kill one of these sheep if this hunt is an after thought. Hell you might now kill one if this hunt is a priority.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back