Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

I am absolutely terrified of getting sick from water. Been there once on a trip to Mexico. I use both a Katadyn gravity filter and tablets. Take care not to let it freeze.

I spent an entire summer working in the Beartooths when I was in college, and I got lazy with water purification because we were a long ways back in and it seemed like it should be clean. After about a month of that strategy I ended up in the ER for a day hooked up to an IV. Never been that sick before or since, and I always filter my water now.
I got giardia working for the FS in Red Lodge my junior year of college. I lost like 12 lbs in a couple weeks before I figured out what was going on, I think I weighed 160 ish @ 6'1" at the end of it. Good times.

I got giardia working for the FS in Red Lodge my junior year of college. I lost like 12 lbs in a couple weeks before I figured out what was going on, I think I weighed 160 ish @ 6'1" at the end of it. Good times.

Only 12 lbs in a couple weeks? Try that in 24 hours….

I think this was the culprit and it was one of the few times I’ve filtered water. Not sure it was the cause as I was the only one in our group to get sick but it seems highly likely….

6FC9F5C6-D115-4D6E-9850-A7E43B6EB856.jpeg

If I was in your position Fire9 I would just drink those cold ones floating in there!!

I had a gravity filter from LifeStraw and it clogged up on me. The time it took me to take it apart, clean it, and put it all back my buddy had already filled 2 Liters with the befree. That is all I carry now and love it. But, Katadyn does make a better filter so if I do decide to do a gravity again that's what I'll get.

So do you guys filter all your water no matter what? my question was more about at what point do you draw the line between drinking straight from the source vs. filtering... Snow melt runoff, Seeing where it daylights, anything on the plateau?

If it’s well below freezing, filters and pumps are useless so I’ll just boil.

If its consistently above freezing then I’ll use an MSR Guardian. A little big and heavy but super fast and zero maintenance.

Another advantage to a pump such as that is if there isn’t much water around you can kick a puddle into a tiny muddy seep and get water from that. That would immediately clog most filters and pumps or would be impossible to extract without a pump.

Hello all I just wanted to say hello and share a few pictures. I have lurked here for a while and have been tossing the idea of hunting the unlimited units for a while. I finally decided this was the year. I figure while I am still young and dumb I might as well try to kill a sheep instead of waiting until I'm 70 to finally draw a tag.

Here are a few grainy phone scope pictures of a band of rams I found while bear hunting last spring.

Attachments

• 20220521_131658.jpg
    20220521_131658.jpg
    789.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 20220521_085553.jpg
    20220521_085553.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 134
  • 20220521_084537.jpg
    20220521_084537.jpg
    963.8 KB · Views: 133
The Unlimiteds were good to me 35 or so years ago. There are still an occasional B&C ram taked in an Unlimited unit, but at 77 and now without horses I've given up on the Unlimited units. I still apply every year hoping to defy the million to one odds and draw a tag in a unit known for their big rams.

Probably my favorite corner of my Trophy Room. I took the 3 bighorn rams on DIY solo hunts, and the Goat was also from a DIY solo hunt in one of the Unlimited ram units.
j2g6vqjl.jpg

Hello all I just wanted to say hello and share a few pictures. I have lurked here for a while and have been tossing the idea of hunting the unlimited units for a while. I finally decided this was the year. I figure while I am still young and dumb I might as well try to kill a sheep instead of waiting until I'm 70 to finally draw a tag.

Here are a few grainy phone scope pictures of a band of rams I found while bear hunting last spring.
The broomed ram is nice. If I were a Montana resident, I would be hunting one of the the unlimited areas every year. Good luck this fall.

The broomed ram is nice. If I were a Montana resident, I would be hunting one of the the unlimited areas every year. Good luck this fall.
I started seeing sheep in the spring a few years ago and have talked to a few people who hunt it. I listened to one of Randy's podcasts a few years ago that said to just get out and hunt. So that was I've been doing.

Because of that I have been putting in for units that have good draw odds and less than great stats for filling the tag. It managed to work out for me with moose in 2020. I drew probably the worst tag in Montana but was able to get it done and fill my tag. The better part was I got to spend around 30 days that year hunting with my wife.

I'm not sure quite how she feels about the death marches that are going to happen this year but as long as we don't draw any other special tags this year September will be for sheep or at least the first few days will be for sheep. Seems that the units close faster and faster each year.

I just wanted to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed this forum. I have made it through half of it since I started completely reading through it on Thursday. (I've had to assure my wife multiple times that I'm not mad at her and I'm just doing research 😂)

It's been great to get to know some of you guys through your stories and also to learn that I know who some of you guys are and that I've followed you on social media or have common friends.

I appreciate all the words of wisdom and have picked up some suggested books to read this summer.

This year is dedicated to get in sheep's shape or I should probably say gun walking shape.

The Unlimiteds were good to me 35 or so years ago. There are still an occasional B&C ram taked in an Unlimited unit, but at 77 and now without horses I've given up on the Unlimited units. I still apply every year hoping to defy the million to one odds and draw a tag in a unit known for their big rams.

Probably my favorite corner of my Trophy Room. I took the 3 bighorn rams on DIY solo hunts, and the Goat was also from a DIY solo hunt in one of the Unlimited ram units.
j2g6vqjl.jpg
I love the look of that Dall. That's exactly what I would want out of a Dall Ram.

I love the look of that Dall. That's exactly what I would want out of a Dall Ram.
He stood out in a group with 4 other rams. That was my first guided hunt for anything and that's what I told my guide before he said anything about any of the rams.

That hunt was in 1999 in the Mackenzie Mountains of Canada's Northwest Territory. It was a backpack hunt and I got the Wolverine in that picture when we were packing camp and my ram back to where the Super Cub would pick us up.

Both horns on that ram measured 39 7/8" long.

Has anyone tried to get their tag via application yet this year so they don't have to front the whole amount? i Just tried to do it and still retain my bonus points but i can't find any option where to apply without using my bonus points.

Has anyone tried to get their tag via application yet this year so they don't have to front the whole amount? i Just tried to do it and still retain my bonus points but i can't find any option where to apply without using my bonus points.
You can't apply and get a point. You can select no and not use your points but you can't obtain one.

So I may be getting ahead of myself but I'm just trying to prepare myself for how much work I may have if I'm fortunate enough to fill a tag.

Also I've got about 60 pages left so I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

What type of weight am I looking at for a boned out sheep with cape and head?

So I may be getting ahead of myself but I'm just trying to prepare myself for how much work I may have if I'm fortunate enough to fill a tag.

Full mount or euro?

I didn't get to weigh the packs, but essentially it took me two trips to get my sheep with a shoulder mount cape and camp out over two days, with a friend who came in and helped pack on one of the trips.

Back