Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

Hello all,
First time posting but I have been following this thread for a year now. The wealth of information and entertainment you have provided me from this forum is incomparable.

I was able to get one scouting trip in during the summer and was eaten alive for two days by mosquitoes looking for a sheep and getting familiar with the country... It's Big country..
Went back in days before the opener and put in 55 miles following some of Butlers book advice. I was in fact very humbled by the tooths and found myself in a few places a few times that tested all of my backcountry skills.
I seen a wolf, 9 goats, and some mule deer but no sheep. With that said I had the best time I've ever had hunting and in the backcountry and will be back every year.
I have plenty of questions and comments for you all after reading through this entire forum twice, but for now an introduction and some pictures should suffice.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG-0183.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG-0183.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 161
  • thumbnail_IMG-0184.png
    thumbnail_IMG-0184.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 150
  • thumbnail_IMG-4941.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG-4941.jpg
    638.5 KB · Views: 143
  • thumbnail_IMG-4946.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG-4946.jpg
    470.2 KB · Views: 145
  • thumbnail_IMG-4983.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG-4983.jpg
    660.4 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG-0182.PNG
    IMG-0182.PNG
    2.7 MB · Views: 162
  • thumbnail_IMG-4579.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG-4579.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 167
I was able to get one scouting trip in during the summer and was eaten alive for two days by mosquitoes looking for a sheep and getting familiar with the country...
Do you suppose those skeeters got blown in from the park that they were not already familiar with the country? If so, they must have been sorely disappointed with their sheep-finding prospects compared to the country of their birth.

No stories from me, other than an extended hospital stay and a mystery illness that wiped out my trip before it began. Been a quiet season so far, kill wise, other than 501.
Sorry to hear that it all went South for you this year after you finally made the decision and pulled the trigger on that NR tag!

Life can certainly mix up its pitches (I know the feeling; it goes to reasons why I've been absent from the forum for so long). I'm hoping you make a full recovery and step up to the plate again next season--it's only seven months away; a little more than three for tag purchase!

Just came off a 4 day rip with @Cav1 and @andrew11. Weather was less than ideal for glassing and we only saw two sheep. A lamb and a ewe. Still better than sitting home and eating the tag after my first hunt got canceled. This southerner got a good taste of Beartooth weather. All in a great time with HuntTalkers. Thanks MTFWP for the opportunity to chase sheep in these mountains.
Wish it had gone better for you on the planned hunt; but at least you got into the sheep country by the looks of those great photos--that's better than I managed on my first try!

Sorry to hear that it all went South for you this year after you finally made the decision and pulled the trigger on that NR tag!

Life can certainly mix up its pitches (I know the feeling; it goes to reasons why I've been absent from the forum for so long). I'm hoping you make a full recovery and step up to the plate again next season--it's only seven months away; a little more than three for tag purchase!
Good to hear from you Shines! Been a while. I don't think the unlimited units are gonna be in the cards for a while. Thankfully, not due to my health this time. Something to do with a miniature version of me on the way... yada, yada, yada. @wllm would turn it into an epic thread, I'm sure.

Thank you for the welcome shines!

Where do you guys draw the line for water purification? Wasn't worried as much on the plateau until I seen some old bones at the foot of some snow pack.

Where do you guys draw the line for water purification?
If I can get my old ass out into the mountains again, any mountains, for more than a quart* or two will suffice, I'm not sure what I will do about potable water these days. When I began contemplating a resumption of backpack hunting, I bought a MSR pump-type filtration system; but it seems overly bulky and heavy, and I did not pack it along on the couple trips I've made since the purchase. I simply reverted to my old practice of drinking untreated water from sources that "looked clean enough" :LOL:. I did not turn :sick: or o_O, though I don't recommend such an incautious attitude.

For lack of getting out myself, I've been watching a lot of videos lately. I'm thinking about getting something like the Sawyer Products SP129 system, though I'm not crazy about plastic bags even though they make sense for gravity transfer. One can hardly beat boiling to kill biological pathogens in wilderness settings. Iodine tablets are probably a smart thing to carry for little weight and space they occupy in the pack. However, neither iodine treatment, nor boiling are ideal for those who prefer to not delay satisfaction.

Before there were nearly as many people on the planet, and I had a better-functioning immune system, I did not fret about water sources. Of course, I have lived most of my life in oft-drenched western WA where I had literally drunk water flowing in ditches alongside old logging roads. In my defense, I was new to the PNW and young enough at the time that I was not aware of how heavily conifer reproduction plots--we generally just refer to them as "reprod" or "dog hair" once they grow to jungle density--are aerially sprayed with herbicides, fertilizer and pesticides.

* That's a tad** less than a liter for the youngsters.
** Archaic term for a small amount--likewise explained for the non-geriatric.

I spent an entire summer working in the Beartooths when I was in college, and I got lazy with water purification because we were a long ways back in and it seemed like it should be clean. After about a month of that strategy I ended up in the ER for a day hooked up to an IV. Never been that sick before or since, and I always filter my water now.

If I can get my old ass out into the mountains again, any mountains, for more than a quart* or two will suffice, I'm not sure what I will do about potable water these days. When I began contemplating a resumption of backpack hunting, I bought a MSR pump-type filtration system; but it seems overly bulky and heavy, and I did not pack it along on the couple trips I've made since the purchase. I simply reverted to my old practice of drinking untreated water from sources that "looked clean enough" :LOL:. I did not turn :sick: or o_O, though I don't recommend such an incautious attitude.

For lack of getting out myself, I've been watching a lot of videos lately. I'm thinking about getting something like the Sawyer Products SP129 system, though I'm not crazy about plastic bags even though they make sense for gravity transfer. One can hardly beat boiling to kill biological pathogens in wilderness settings. Iodine tablets are probably a smart thing to carry for little weight and space they occupy in the pack. However, neither iodine treatment, nor boiling are ideal for those who prefer to not delay satisfaction.

Before there were nearly as many people on the planet, and I had a better-functioning immune system, I did not fret about water sources. Of course, I have lived most of my life in oft-drenched western WA where I had literally drunk water flowing in ditches alongside old logging roads. In my defense, I was new to the PNW and young enough at the time that I was not aware of how heavily conifer reproduction plots--we generally just refer to them as "reprod" or "dog hair" once they grow to jungle density--are aerially sprayed with herbicides, fertilizer and pesticides.

* That's a tad** less than a liter for the youngsters.
** Archaic term for a small amount--likewise explained for the non-geriatric.
Like you, I remember drinking out of what I thought were obviously “clean” sources and never thought twice about them. About the only times I ever hesitated was drinking from a duck pond near Burbank, WA after swishing away the top scum or the time I drank from a trickle emanating from a hillside below a farm barnyard after chasing a buck for several miles in the Snake River canyon. Nothing came of those times either, but I wouldn’t try either one today! Sometimes I wish I was young and dumb again!! 😁😁

I spent an entire summer working in the Beartooths when I was in college, and I got lazy with water purification because we were a long ways back in and it seemed like it should be clean. After about a month of that strategy I ended up in the ER for a day hooked up to an IV. Never been that sick before or since, and I always filter my water now.

This is a good lesson for those of us that rarely treat water.

Did they identify the bug what got ya?

Dropping off Crazy Peak in desperate need of water i flitered from a trickle beneath a snow field. Filter clogged from sediment. No choice but to drink . Then I noticed all the goat shit. Only time I risked it.
Happy ending other than the goshawk trying to snatch my blonde mane.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back