Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

Are there really any places that need more goats killed in the L48? I thought they were pretty much struggling in most areas. Lots of nannies would die under UL tags. In some areas here, if you shoot a nanny you can't hunt goats again for 4 years. Very very few people kill more than one goat, so plenty of nannys get whacked. They will also shut down the season after x number are shot.

I do agree that there could be a lot more UL opportunities for sheep. I think it would be really hard to limit the take though. But there are ways. Make it a short season when they are hardest to find, early October? Weapon restrictions. Make the opening day random which would do a lot of things, like keep people from camping out on a ram. Maybe open it for 2-3 days mid week at some point between Aug 1 and Oct 30. No planning, scouting, etc. Totally random when you get to go. I doubt it would be a popular idea, but I think most people could take a few days off if they really needed to. And require hunters to call/text in to report harvest within 24hrs or less. Everyone has some sort of communication device now or can get one to report. Once the harvest is reached it closes midnight that day, no fluff time.

You could include something like if you shoot one and he's not "mature" by what ever standards that may be, you can't hunt anything in the state for X number of years. Might make a guy pause on pulling the trigger... maybe.

The fact that the success rates for sheep tags are nearly 100% is silly. I understand that people want to make sure they kill one, but its managed to basically be a guaranteed kill. There isn't a lot of "hunt" left in it. When you get to pass up lots of animals and are start naming them, is it really hunting or shopping?

For G Bear, you could do, say, a March 1-15 season. This would capture when the Boars are coming out of hibernation, as well as make for a bit more difficult environmental/weather circumstances for the hunters.
Realistically, persistent health issues the past three years mean that I am unlikely to resume rugged backpack hunting.

However, were I half my age, I would enthusiastically anticipate such a hunt. It could even mimic late season sheep hunting in some respects. Snowshoe--or ski for those possessing better ankles and balance than I ever had--in to high country, beware avalanche chutes, find the high vantages that would permit glassing snowy slopes for sign of bears breaching their Winter quarters and etc. Sounds like grueling good fun to me!

Last edited:
Well I suppose a guy can hunt the UL and every year while he is trying to be successful in the UL try and get a FCFS tag from Nevada for a desert that’s the best bet right now for another option at getting a Bighorn tag, and the closest option to a OTC bighorn sheep experience.

This is a good idea; however, I fear a lot of controversy over how old a ram is. As you know, a lot of these Gallatin and Beartooth sheep are timber sheep and as they get older their horns can collect sap making it really hard for anyone to accurately age them. There have been rams killed that I know for a fact are 10-12 and they’re on the kill report as 7. Everyone’s doing their best I’m sure but the kill report accuracy is somewhat dependent on who checks the ram in.

A great idea for a dall sheep, or even a bighorn hunt where the rings are easily distinguished (Breaks, etc).

That's kind of the point for a place with a lot of sheep. Make it hard to pull the trigger. Waiting period applies and ram stays with the state if tooth cementum comes up less than 8 or some number. Toss in a $1000 fine for good measure. Lots of people will get to say they hunted sheep in Wyoming/ Colorado/etc.

Hopefully, keeping this brief will avoid the wrath of our thread-topic monitor. If any followers of this thread want to see what nearly four additional decades does to a once young buck, check out my posting today, 2021 OCT 10, in Sunday Pic of the Day thread.

I'm echoing other contributors to this thread when I recommend: Do it now while you are young enough and the opportunity still exists.

Sheep Kill_lo-rez_Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back