Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

I've got a 400" and a 350" bull on the wall. I've passed bulls in the 370 range and I don't know how many bulls over 300" I've passed. It would be well into the hundreds of bulls passed over 300". I don't look at those types of bulls as true trophy elk. Others will think any legal bull is a trophy (and I respect their views and hope they enjoyed their experience).
:rolleyes:

🍿🍿🍿🍿 could this be the day 130 pages comes to an end.

Congrats on the ram.
I tried buddy; but, if this post doesn't do it, only the ram knows!

Respect for toughing your way out on your own after the injury and not pushing that button. Yes, I know that is not always the best choice when one can exacerbate an injury, but I still respect gumption. Hope you heal in time for another shot this season!

In my opinion, anyone willing to hunt wilderness solo ought to accept the potential for injury and even death--hell, we all do it without much consideration everytime we get behind the wheel. During a seasonal job in Rocky Mountain National Park in 1998, I saw how tourists were already willing at that time to resort to calling 911 for the slightest problem. One instance got a couple Backcountry Rangers injured by a lightning strike. Sometimes,"rescues" turn into greater tragedies.

I think the thing that gives me heartburn as much as anything is the increased notariety and specific information that is easily gleaned about these units from threads like these.

These unlimited units seem so vast and “figuring it out” seems so daunting that many of you guys think nothing of posting everything you have learned over the years.

All that info is on this thread, available to anyone who is interested in reading, looking at background details or cross referencing their own boots on the ground knowledge and piecing out the details.

There’s a bunch of folks reading and learning without ever commenting on this thread.

I was in the area helping a friend with a goat tag and was amazed at how many people were in there.

It’s kind of a gut check for me when I see pics and know that I could walk the person posting the pictures back to within several hundred yards of where the picture was taken.
While there's some valuable information that's been shared on this thread I do enjoy following the other hunters adventures as well. Have met some great people because of this thread and some sure good friends as well.

I think the thing that gives me heartburn as much as anything is the increased notariety and specific information that is easily gleaned about these units from threads like these.

These unlimited units seem so vast and “figuring it out” seems so daunting that many of you guys think nothing of posting everything you have learned over the years.

All that info is on this thread, available to anyone who is interested in reading, looking at background details or cross referencing their own boots on the ground knowledge and piecing out the details.

There’s a bunch of folks reading and learning without ever commenting on this thread.

I was in the area helping a friend with a goat tag and was amazed at how many people were in there.

It’s kind of a gut check for me when I see pics and know that I could walk the person posting the pictures back to within several hundred yards of where the picture was taken.
I think more about this all the time for all hunts. I'm pretty careful with trip reports, landscapes in photos, etc. but more and more I'm inclined to leave it at a pic or two and call it good for most stuff, family and friends can catch more on social media or e-mail, where I'm still pretty careful. The full story and pics can be over a beer. I like reading good trip reports as much as the next guy so I hate not to reciprocate; some stories can be told in a compelling way without details. I'm even fairly liberal with info among the right people, but the searchability adds another layer that I'm increasingly uncomfortable with for my own stuff.

quite possibly the most interesting gas station/convenience store/sporting goods store I've ever been in. The always lock up the liquor when I show up at that place too. There is a pizza place down the road that is good too.

Has anyone stopped at the place down to the trailhead that had all the trump signs up last year? I think her name was Pat and she was just a bit testy!!!!! Food was actually really good too.
yes, usually stop there for last call on thanksgiving weekend. haven't ventured into the food yet but the whiskey isn't bad, just pricey.

Last edited:
Guys,
Im the guy in question that shot the ram in Unit 500 this year....
Welcome and congratulations. I myself have often enough said that any legal ram in the ULs is a trophy. I understand the left horn is bigger than the right? I got to thinking, and if it was the same ram I saw, he fed across the chute with his right side towards me and I'll be damned if I never did get a good look at his left. I was just going off what I had seen and not trying to be critical when I said that I personally would have decided to pass.

Last time I was in there, it was cash only. The ATM charged me something like $5 to withdraw $20. The beer was $7. After paying $12 for a beer, with a dollar tip on top, the thought of stopping has never again crossed my mind even tho I drive past it a few times per month all summer. This was 4 or 5 years ago when I last stopped, tho.

I always get tricked into stopping in Thirsty Turtle in Big Timber for chow. I’ve never had a good meal, always leaving disappointed, but somehow I haven’t learnt my lesson as yet.

Good luck to everyone heading in!
Try the Big Timber bar. Great steak dinner for under $20

There was a 2.5 year old ram killed in 502 in 2015 that, by some miracle, was actually 3/4 curl. It’s horns were 24.75” long with 12.25” bases. Those that saw it in person said it was pathetically small and were shocked it was actually legal. You guys want to tell me that’s a trophy too?

For what it’s worth, the biologist knows full well that average 4.5 year old rams are eligible for harvest, so it won’t disrupt the management of the areas. Legality and personal ethics are two separate things. If the law was followed then it’s a matter of opinion, and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I guess I’m just the only one here that doesn’t think every unlimited ram is the trophy of a lifetime just because it’s an unlimited ram. That’s fine with me.

Finally back out, flying home soon. South end of the unit was awesome. We had hail, snow, thunderstorms, more grizz, more goats, but never even saw any form of sheep. It was a great adventure for a guy from VA never figuring he’d ever hunt sheep in his life. My wife did incredible carrying a big pack and running the spotter quite a bit, really proud of her. We’ve enjoyed chasing these critters and will be back next year....likely for bear and fishing again. Good luck to all still continuing and congrats to those who have harvested! Enjoy!

Thats my point. I've got a 400" and a 350" bull on the wall. I've passed bulls in the 370 range and I don't know how many bulls over 300" I've passed. It would be well into the hundreds of bulls passed over 300". I don't look at those types of bulls as true trophy elk. Others will think any legal bull is a trophy (and I respect their views and hope they enjoyed their experience).

Others thing small rams aren't a trophy. I think any legal ram is a victory for an UL hunter. Views are just different depending on your experiences. On my desert ram hunt I'm going to be looking for a very mature ram that looks cool. If it scores good that would be great too.
Any of them dink bulls on OTC tags, if so I’ll follow you around and kill the ones too small for you

I think more about this all the time for all hunts. I'm pretty careful with trip reports, landscapes in photos, etc. but more and more I'm inclined to leave it at a pic or two and call it good for most stuff, family and friends can catch more on social media or e-mail, where I'm still pretty careful. The full story and pics can be over a beer. I like reading good trip reports as much as the next guy so I hate not to reciprocate; some stories can be told in a compelling way without details. I'm even fairly liberal with info among the right people, but the searchability adds another layer that I'm increasingly uncomfortable with for my own stuff.

This is what will keep the allure of the ULs alive. The Beartooth's have always carried a certain mystique with them. In the climbing community theres has always been a strong ethic of keeping beta to word of mouth and encouraging a "find your own adventure" state of mind.

The more that is layed out on here and other sites, the less adventure remains.

Everyone knows theres sheep in them hills- its up to you to go find them!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back