Caribou Gear

Good News!

Erik in AK

The vet called and my girl does not have diabetes!!!

Three weeks ago I took Harley, my Chessie bitch to the groomer for her biannual de-stinking. The groomer kept her all day (she doesn't release dogs in winter until they are absolutely dry) and Harley had to pee every half hour and was constantly thirsty. The groomer told me to take her the vet immediately. Evidently, the thirst thing is a classic symptom of canine diabetes. If she was younger I probably would have discounted the groomer as she's been a camel at the water bowl her whole life. But she's almost 11 and definitely showing her age. I took her in for an exam and blood work and the vet finally got back to us with the results. She has a pretty bad UTI and has been instinctively trying to flush her system. So now she's on antibiotics and we're adding a little cranberry juice to her water and a little yogurt to her food per the vet. I didn't catch the UTI because she wasn't licking her parts. I did notice the water/peeing increase but wrote it off to old age.
Lesson learned!!

So for those of you with older dogs...if Pup's water intake rapidly increases for no apparent reason have him/her screened. It could save you a broken heart.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back