Good mule deer?

Kiwi

Last year I scouted a Gen deer area in MT. I saw a few deer and found this antler. It’s seems like a nice antler and to me worth a return trip to try and find the buck next year with the antlers attached! What are your thoughts?
I am planning to buy a deer point this year and so should be able to draw another gen tag for 2021.

6AE1FEA1-0574-4FAE-851D-89D10A6DF832.jpeg

Last edited:
It's a shooter in my book. But I'm skeptical that he's going to be in that area during deer season. There are some places where deer reside year-round, but in general, where deer drop their antlers in the winter won't be where they are during the fall season.

Never heard of that beer. Pretty average muley in most spots, but everybody has their own standards. IF I really cared about shooting a buck and had an open tag, he would probably go into my freezer.

That shed is prehistoric. If you've spent enough time on this site you already know deer like that dont exist in Montana anymore.
All jokes aside. Why wait til 2021? You should be able to draw in 2020

That shed is prehistoric. If you've spent enough time on this site you already know deer like that dont exist in Montana anymore.
All jokes aside. Why wait til 2021? You should be able to draw in 2020
Good question! I hunt once a year in USA and like to explore different states. This year I’m looking at ID in Sept and the logistics don’t really work for hunting MT too. I did hunt MT last year and had an amazing time.

Great buck today, good buck a few years ago, Just another buck when I started hunting.
That antler looks to have been shed a year and a half ago. Hard white with no cracks. Could have been shed in the spring of the year you found it if the antler was out in the open where it gets lots of sun. The shed would have more color on the down side if it is from the spring.
If you found that antler in Eastern Montana there is a good chance the buck will be close in hunting season. Most likely in the first or last parts of the season. It is a crap shoot where he is going to be in the rut. Could be ten miles away.

Last edited:
Great buck today, good buck a few year ago, Just another buck when I started hunting.
That antler looks to have been shed a year and a half ago. Hard white with no cracks. Could have been shed in the spring of the year you found it if the antler was out in the open where it gets lots of sun. The shed would have more color on the down side if it is from the spring.
If you found that antler in Eastern Montana there is a good chance the buck will be close in hunting season. Most likely in the first or last parts of the season. It is a crap shoot where he is going to be in the rut. Could be ten miles away.
Very interesting, thanks! And yes the antler was out in the sun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back