Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Good load for 300wsm

Gimphunter

Getting in to this reloading thing at the WRONG TIME cheese & rice!!

Any way need some help from some experts .
I already have some stuff.

168gr burger vld
Winchester brass
215m primers

looking for a good recipe
waiting on back orders on some other stuff
modified case
h4831 sc <cant get it>4350 <cant get it>reloader 17-19-22-25 it crazy!
I found 2 pounds of h4831 but is it good for 168gr I am a newby at reloading you know ?

Thanx Eric

get a reloading manual first and foremost, truth no recipie that someone puts up here with out checking a manual or three. In order of importance- Bullet maker manual, powder maker info, generic (lyman is my go to on this one). i don't have a 300WSM so i can't really be of much help sorry.

Try winchester 760 powder if available. I have a 165 grn accubond with win760 powder that I'm getting good velocity and consistancy in the grouping.
I got some nice groups with Reloader 22 shooting a 180 grn accubond but lacking in the velocity department.

I really like the Hornady superformance powder and it seems to be on most shelves, at least here in Idaho. I have it pushing a 165 gr accubond it it is smoking down range and very accurate.. my favorite elk load

Mine likes RL19 for the 165 grains. But lots of powders will work well, just do some trials and see what groups from load data. A lot of powder and bullet companies publish data that show the most accurate in the tests they have done.. Start under max loads, and be aware of what an over pressure load will look and feel like. Seating depth also can make a difference in both accuracy and pressure.

I< have looked at manuals and websites> and got a lot of info but just wondering what people have had good luck with.
Thanks just wanted to know what others have had the best outcome with ?

I use win 760 with 168 gr Amax and 165gr sst and they shoot well out of my savage. get a hornady reloading manual but approach max load with caution especially with a diff brand of bullet.

I am in the process of developing a load for my 300 WSM. I have been using 175 Barnes lrx with 62.5 grns RE17 in Norma cases with Winchester primers. I am shooting a 25 inch custom barrel. I am currently getting about 3100 fps with no signs of pressure. My groups are sub MOA but I am still working on the COAL. Half the fun is working up the perfect load for your rifle. I wish all re-loaders the best of luck.

I am new to reloading as well, but I would say another BIG +1 for the Barnes 175 LRX. I am using RL-19 at 68 gr. getting about 2935-2940 at the muzzle. My rifle is nothing fancy, the older Weatherby Vanguard synthetic. Pretty sure I paid $325-350 for it new several years ago, but its shooting just under 3/4 MOA and I have a suspicion its only my shooting that is keeping it from being closer to 1/2 moa:D. I am very pleased with the combo, as it has done a number on two antelope and one elk this year.

Happy reloading

There are no good recipes just starting points. Every gun is different so what shoots good for others doesn't mean that you will have the same results. Load up 3 round batches 1 grain apart and go see what groups and tweak it from there

Last edited:
There are no good recipes just starting points. Every gun is different so what shoots good for others doesn't mean that you will have the same results. Load up 3 round batches 1 grain apart and go see what groups and tweak it from there

This is very sound advise... I was using this method when I started loading back in high school, and it's a pretty reliable system... I also switch to .5 gr increments as I get nearer to maximum loads in any particular rifle... It tends to alleviate alot of the pressure spikes you can get with some powder/rifle combos...

One thing I will caution you on is even though the double base ball (spherical type) powders like Winchester, or the Hodgdon powders like H414, H450, etc and the Alliant Powders all have a tendency to be more temperature sensitive than do the extruded powders like Hodgdon's Extreme powders and IMR's 4350-7828 powders... What this means is, if you work up a good load with most double base powders @ say 70*, and take the same load out on a nice cold 20* hunting day, you will lose quite a bit of velocity and quite possibly the accuracy you've found when you worked up your load... On the other side of the coin too, if you work up a good hunting load in the cooler late winter early spring weather like I do, that load will be WAY too hot if you try and shoot it on a hot summer day ... Just something to look out for... Also, the Alliant powders will be affected to a lesser degree than the other double base powders as they are coated to help make them more consistent in various temps...

For the 300 WSM, I would lean toward the 180gr bullets and either of the IMR/Hodgdon powders from 4350-4831, and you'll have a great all around combo for everything you want to hunt... With any of the short action rifles you will be limited by the length of your magazine, but I seat the bullets as far out as you can and still use your magazine, and once you find your best load as far as powder charge goes, then play with your seating depth if you wish to do more fine tuning from there...

Just take it slow, and keep it a distraction free zone when you're loading... Feel free to ask if you have ANY questions... Remember, the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask... Have fun with it,good luck and be safe...

In my model 70 Winchester stainless in 300 wsm I shoot Barnes 168 tsx's. I would probably switch to the tipped round but have a lot loaded and have my dope down real good.

My rifle likes of Reloader 17 in Winchester cases and federal mag lg rifle match primers.

I've been plaint with two 300 wsm's for about a year, one really likes 64g of rl17 with 165/168 grain noslers, the other starting shooting really well with 64g of hybrid 100 and 180 grain noslers. My suggestion would be to reload a few and take them to the range and shoot them through a chrono and see how they group. Be prepared to spend a lot of time at the range.

Agreed... I forgot to mention, you need a "good" chronograph for good reloading. Not a cheapo Chrony unit. Spend the money up front and get yourself a PACT or an even better Oehler 35P ... You can have an accurate load @ 100 yds, but it may have a big Extreme Spread making it start stringing shots down range... Plus, a good chronograph will let you know too, when you're getting close to maximum pressures, as you can see how close you are to the published velocities from the manuals...

What I've found works well too, if you don't have one or access to one, try and work up your loads at 300 yds. This will give you an idea how the load is gonna shoot. If it shoots good at 300 yds. it WILL be an accurate load... To get the most from your loads using a chronograph, you'll want to find a load that not only groups well, but you'll want to keep the Extreme Spreads at 30 fps or less...

The chronograph is a good Idea but make sure you check velocities @ the temps you will be hunting @. Don't buy the hype that extruded powders don't lose velocity in cold weather. This includes the so called extreme powders. The ball powders will vary more than extruded but probably only 10-20 fps more than extruded. you need to check a load made up in cold weather again when it's hot no matter what kind of powder. Also pick a powder that fills your case to 92-98% of capacity to help eliminate variations in velocity. Of course variations in velocity don't matter if you shoot less than 200 yards and get tight groups with whatever load you use.

300wsm...

I second or third the recommendation to get a good, current, reloading manual and stick to the loads. Start your loads low and work up in 2 tenths of a grain increments. I have a Rem. 700, SPS, 300WSM that I load 180 gr. Accubonds , WLRM primers, 65.5 gr. of IMR 4831. This chronographs at an average 2907, 10 shot group, the spread was +/- 10 FPS. This is the accuracy load for my 300WSM with a 24" bbl. This hand load has accounted for 12 African plains game animals, a Montana mountain goat, a Texas aoudad sheep and one very large Montana mule deer. This is my big rifle that I would not hesitate to take on any north America hunt with this particular load. I shot my mountain goat at 267 yds. at an angle of 65 degrees uphill. He dropped like a sack of sand. The only African plains game animal that required a second shot was a gemsbok, Oryx, and that after a long tracking afternoon. Be sure to pay close attention to detail when hand loading and work up slowly. The 300WSM is a true work horse that I applaud due to great ballistics and mild felt recoil. Be sure to break that barrel in properly. Good luck, good hunting, good shooting. MTG

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back