Golden retriever

kirkl

Anybody ever hunt with one of these. Were getting one for xmas and I want to bird hunt with it. I seen one on tv hunting and it was doing a great job.

Yes, I did for about 12 years. She was excellent on pheasants. She was so enthusiastic and happy hunting pheasants that I gave up duck hunting soon after I got her. Although she loved water, sitting and waiting for birds to come was not her thing. She would retrieve ducks but her heart wasn't in it. She lived for upland birds...pheasant, chukar, quail, and grouse. Golden Retrievers are just awesome dogs, good hunters and really great family dogs. I will say that the long hair does take a little work. It helps to keep it trimmed short especially during hunting season. I used electric clippers and would ocassionally trim the feet, legs, tail, and underside. It's very helpful to begin doing this from the start, when they are really young still, even though it won't be necessary yet, just so when the pup gets older it will allow you to do it without putting up too much of a fuss. Also get some nail trimmers and begin doing this right away also. Good luck and if you can post a picture when you get your pup. I'd love to see what he/she looks like.

This really is probably something you know, but be sure that the pup is coming from parents that are both hunters. Retrievers like labs are often being bred as only family dogs a little too much and their hunting backgrounds can be too far back. If the pups are not from hunters chances are you may turn out to be disapointed.

Aaron

Make darned sure the dog is coming from hunting working parents. I've seen some goldens that were fantastic bird dogs, and others that were worthless in the field. Like others have said, some of the hunting instincts are being bred right out of the bloodlines.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back