Caribou Gear Tarp

Going to HuntTalk for Legal(?) Advice about a Property I own

Get everything in the form a contract drafted by a lawyer. Talk about liability from injuries, belonging that she brings on to the property, who has access, something about swatter rights, shed ownership upon her passing.

I would like to do a favor for a lady who has done many for me throughout my life. She has no children, no spouse, I don't even know about who her heirs are. That said, I will be talking to a lawyer and paying whatever it costs, to line this out so I have peace of mind but can also make this seemingly simple thing happen.

I appreciate all the responses. As I suspected, I need an expert (no offense to the myriad of experts on this corner of the internet!).

Most agreements require there has to be consideration so make it a buck a year.
I would do an annual lease with termination clause with 30 day written notice by either parties for any reason. Put in that upon termination any improvements become property of the Landlord. That way you only have to address it once a year but if things don't work out you can terminate with the 30 day notice at anytime.

Not sure what the adverse possession law is there, but that would be my concern. Especially if this is a permanent structure that she will be using somewhat regularly. As mentioned, a yearly lease should resolve that. Local attorney should be able to draw one up for a minimal fee.

FFS. What a world we have become when we can’t even return favors to a friend without an attorney. I might be naive but if it was me I would just let her go for it.
I mostly agree as long as squatter’s rights don’t come into play. I’m not an attorney so I don’t know.

FFS. What a world we have become when we can’t even return favors to a friend without an attorney. I might be naive but if it was me I would just let her go for it.

Very true, although unfortunately accidents do happen, and apart from that, one point of a contract or license or whatever you want to call it, is to guard against risk that she changes her mind, or her heirs hire their own attorney and decide to go a different direction.

Hopefully the landowners can sort this out in a diplomatic manner that ensures everyone's on the same page (literally).

Do a search of lanlord tenant rights in your state. In Wisconsin for example : if you allow someone in your home and as soon as they get a piece of mail; they have established residency. You would then have to go through eviction process if you wanted them to leave and they refused.
As others have talked about charging her a $1 rent, you might be actually giving her more rights and her immediate family. Could they argue for access to spot until end of lease?
Good luck, hope all goes well.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back