going in the day before the season starts...

I have a bear tag. The season started in August. Deer rifle season starts this Saturday. I purchased my first one but I know I've got a lot of competition. Of coarse, if I'm successful I'll probably never hunt deer with a bow again, but we'll see. My plan is to go in to a spot the night before where I've seen a lot of deer. It's about 1 to 1.5 miles in. I'd set up a bivy and hang out up high in an old clear cut and wait until the next morning when I'm legal. I figure if anyone asked me why I'm going in a day early I'm legal since I have a bear tag. I wont load my rifle until shooting hours on opening day. Anyone think this is a bad idea? The moon will still be quite full that night so I think My best chance is right at day break, plus they'll be nocturnal and I'll spook em going in in the middle of the night.

This is a normal practice. As long as you don't actually shoot a deer before season starts you're fine. No need to justify having a rifle.

This is a normal practice. As long as you don't actually shoot a deer before season starts you're fine. No need to justify having a rifle.

What he said^^^

I'm leaving Sat for a deer opener in a new to me area the following Sat. My rifle will be near me as i not only will be scouting for deer sign as well as a good place to camp, i'll also take the time to try and call in some coyotes. I figure that lots of guys are going to take their bucks. I'm going to also try to put a dent in those song-dog yotes, do my best to even out the predator-prey animal ratio!

Good luck on your plan, sounds like a good one!

What he said^^^

I'm leaving Sat for a deer opener in a new to me area the following Sat. My rifle will be near me as i not only will be scouting for deer sign as well as a good place to camp, i'll also take the time to try and call in some coyotes. I figure that lots of guys are going to take their bucks. I'm going to also try to put a dent in those song-dog yotes, do my best to even out the predator-prey animal ratio!

Good luck on your plan, sounds like a good one!

A coyote on the side seems like a great idea. I had one in my yard early in the morning a few weeks back. It's coat was in such great condition I thought it was a neighbors dog.... Took a minute to realize that was the healthiest coyote I've ever seen. I wonder if the skin is worth keeping like a bear skin rug... Maybe for gloves. I've never heard of anyone doing that but it seems realistic. I couldn't shoot it considering I have neighbors with livestock right behind the yard he was in. But if they got it I'm sure they'd just toss it in the trash or bury it. Maybe making gloves would be a good experiment....

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back