MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

goHUNT, OnX, BaseMap? Which and why for e scouting?

I used gohunt and onx side by side this year on a couple hunts. In the field, I found them to be very similar, but for me, OnX to be a little easier, more intuitive. That being said, I like the direction that goHunt is headed, and I will continue to support them, I really like all of the other membership perks. I am also really pleased with OnX and all of the conservation work that they do, so I am proud to continue to support them as well. I think that goHunt will only continue to improve as time progresses, and the value of the membership will only increase.

Now, if somebody would just make it so I can download high res maps of my desired hunt area(s), with like a 1/4 mile buffer all the way around into the adjoining areas.

Reactions: JAG
Howdy. I've got all 3. And then there is TagHub from Eastman's. It seems that there is a big push from all of these to "up sell" you to buy their research for a given hunt. That's ok for those folks who don't know where to go hunting. But I know where I'm going hunting. If anything, these tell me where I don't want to go because I see enough "orange" w/o putting myself in that mix! I just want good maps with features I like along with GPS tracking to see where I am.

Not only does ONX have bulk delete, but it also has bulk-select so that you can assign 1 or 100 waypoints to a single group. Within one unit, I have four groups or zones of waypoints arranged by daily glassing assignment and I'm able to turn all of them on or off.

GoHunt satellite images are still grainy and ONX is a little better. Google Earth's image quality is far superior (BaseMap uses GE for their satellite layer). I cycle between ONX and GE for satellite imagery. GE displays heavy game traffic which could be cattle traffic, but this detail is helpful. I can see game traffic on ONX, but only after I've found it using Google Earth.

The two (2) things I like most about GoHunt are 1) elevation layers and 2) Distance features. The Distance tool is able to measure bullet distance across a canyon simultaneously with measuring hike distance. Also for glassing purposes, the distance tool shows you what blocks your view from a given glassing position. I want to know where I need to go to be able to view as many places as possible.

I thought ONX had a tool that allowed me to increase or decrease the transparency of layers, but I can't find it anymore. I love that GoHunt has this transparency feature.

I realize you can just mark a mile from a road to find the roadless areas, but I really, really love ONX's purple roadless layer.
FYI GoHunt has bulk editing and collection assignment of waypoints.

Reactions: JAG
I've used onx extensively in the field and have been test driving gohunt. Both are clearly great mapping tools which will continue to evolve. But my primary concern is land ownership so that I do not make a trespassing error. I wish there was information available comparing onx and gohunt landownership databases. Which is the most accurate and complete? I have not seen this issue discussed in the threads.

Last edited:
I've been happily using onx for years now. I'm tempted to look at gohunt and compare services, but can't imagine they can offer anymore than onx does for what my needs are. Kind of surprised that onx is suddenly the stepchild of map apps on HT, makes me wonder what they have in store that made HT switch sides.

I've just got HuntStand on my phone. Still learning it, but has plenty of maps and ownership map as well. Just haven't figured it out yet? Good price too.

GoHunt and OnX both have their places IMO. GoHunts maps for me have been extremely laggy and hard to use since they came out. As an OnX user since the beginning I prefer their maps and system paired with Google Earth.

Not good hunting Wyoming pronghorn in my unit this fall. Numbers way down from blue tongue was the story we were hearing. Hunting hard all day every day I finally got to a situation to put some meat in the freezer and the pronghorn I was after was on public land, I think? Need to verify. Just then I get some prompt from Basemap to buy something. WTF is this? Well I can't let my Basemap subscription expire, not now (!), so I agree. Turns out I agreed to some rescue app for more money that I don't need. The worst part is I can no longer access my Basemap to verify the location of my pronghorn because all I get is this screen to finish my subscription for this app I don't want and it will NOT go away. I couldn't take the shot. It was a long trip home with such an ending to my hunt.
Turns out I could have taken the shot had I been able to verify my location.
Should I have taken more time to study WTF Basemap was trying to get me to agree to right as I was on my stalk?
I was a little busy at the time and what they were distracting me with was ONLY in interference that I wanted rid of ASAP.
I told Basemap my story of how they ruined my hunt.
They didn't care.
Basemap not recommended IMO.

OnX. All the way.

OnX is about maps and constantly supports public land interests.

"Missoula, Mont.–September 16, 2022 /OUTDOOR SPORTSWIRE/ To celebrate National Public Lands Day on September 24, 2022, onX friends and ambassadors like Conrad Anker, Jana Waller, Cody Townsend, Mike Foote, and Luke Takahashi reflect on how Public Lands have impacted them and encourage all outdoor enthusiasts to do the same."

GoHunt? All about $$$. If $ can be made as a central advertising base for landowner tags, you can bet GoHunt's all over it.

Statements
Goods and Services

Providing a website for commercial purposes featuring consumer information, namely, ratings, reviews, referrals, recommendations and price discount information relating to hunting and fishing outfitters; Providing consumer information namely, ratings, reviews, referral, recommendations and price discount information relating to hunting and fishing outfitters and duck clubs; Advertising, marketing and promotion services, namely, providing information regarding discounts, coupons, rebates, vouchers, links to retail websites of others, and special offers of the goods and services of others; Providing a website where users can post ratings, reviews, referrals and recommendations relating to hunting and fishing outfitters and duck clubs; Providing online retail store services and online marketplace of landowner hunting tags, trespass hunts and vouchers

Back