Gobble Gobble...a DOUBLE!!

DS, I know several people that have killed double bearded birds. I just haven't killed one myself. The most beards I have seen on one bird was 4.

Boomer...the most I have seen on a bird is 5....but I just got wind that there is one among us who HAS killed a double!.....I won't ruin it for him.....but pix are a coming!
DS

Ok bigmouth, here it is.
wink.gif

I killed this double bearded tom a couple years ago. The longest was 10 1/2" and the short one was 7 1/2". The short one is thin and if you look close you can see it. It would be above the main beard, if he were standing up. I would have won the local contest with this guy, but a 12 year old kid shot a two bearded one with longer beards, at 100 yards with a rifle. (Rifles are legal in Texas) Kinda bummed me out cause it's hard to compete against rifles with a shotgun. But, the kid took it legally and I was proud for him. He was a friend of mine's son and I caught heck about it for awhile.
wink.gif

Look in the background if ya want to see what good Texas turkey country looks like. That's a "mesquite pasture" and they are hot spots for strutting toms. SR

TwoBeards2.jpg

Right on Que friend!....and a Dandy Bird!
........I'm totally jealous!
biggrin.gif

DS

CTH,
I have never hunted in the Eldorado area. I have guided hunters on a ranch south of there. Lots of turkeys and short trees.
biggrin.gif

I have been told by biologists that the Menard/Sonora area (which takes in your area) probably has the greatest density of birds in the state and is relatively overlooked. You ought to have a good hunt. Are you going to be there for the opener? SR

------------------
3.gif

..."The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been"...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MJS4KIDS
Back