Caribou Gear

Go Hunt Worth it?

williaada

What are peoples thoughts on the GO Hunt for tag strategies?

A few people posted how the draw odds were off from what was expected.

GOHUNT could be a lot better. The dont listen to customer feedback very good.

What are peoples thoughts on the GO Hunt for tag strategies?

A few people posted how the draw odds were off from what was expected.
Yes I believe it’s worth it if you apply in multiple states. I don’t know what exactly you’re referring to with draw odds being off from what is expected. The odds they post are from past years, not predictive of this year. For instance if u look at WY general elk it was 100% draw with 3 pts last year. But if you look at trends you could easily predict that it would take >3 points to guarantee that tag this year.

If you hunt multiple states, multiple species or are just getting started out and deciding what units to focus on, yes I think it is worth it..

if you only plan to hunt 1-3 states, or you already know which units you plan to hunt it wouldn’t be worth it in my opinion

Just remember if a unit looks good to you based on what you see on Go Hunt it probably looks good to everyone else too.

It has been a treasure trove of info for me. It has really helped me and my family strategize our hunt plans with far less effort on my part.

Guess it's worth it if you want to plan around what content they throw out. Because you need to realize everyone and their momma is reading exactly what your reading. It's the new Eastmans of today!

It’s worth it if you apply in more than one state. BUT they are FAR from perfect. To me, the most valuable things they have are the trophy quality, the historic draw odds, and some of their articles that give a quick overview of key points in each state.

I spent hours skimming UT regs looking for the number of tags available for various hunts, then thirty seconds into a goHunt article is reminds me that they don’t set the number of tags until after the application deadline. Minutes on goHunt. My time at home to myself is so extremely limited that I would almost pay for a goHunt subscription just for that one instance.

Their “hidden gems” are anything but hidden. Take them with a grain of salt.

I draw tags every year without it as a NR, to be frank it's not worth it. You and several thousands will be using the same data, sometimes which has errors, based on my own research.

I suggest if you are serious strike out, learn different states, compile your own data/research. If covid has shown us anything this year draw odds have worsened more than the past several years combined. Will be slim pickings for years to come and no paid service will over come this

Is Tillamook the best cheese?
Should I buy Crispi’s or Kenetreks?
Is the 6.5 the best caliber out there?

All questions guaranteed to have advocates for and against... I personally like go hunt because it’s a one stop shop. Having said that, the information is definitely not top secret and can be easily found through agency websites - for free.

I used it for two state draws this year and was successful in one, so, it has Been for me. I’ve use it quite a bit for research. If you are not looking at several states each year and usually just hunt OTC then probably not. They now have some 3D mapping that is still being tested. Just my $.02.

This is just my opinion, so take it as you will. There are lots of resources out there, fool, epic and GoHunt. Gohunt was the first group to start focusing on all hunts in a state, and not just trophy hunts. So they found a niche. in that there are a lot of folks who want to hunt waiting for their points to mature and get some trophy hunts. Problem is, with technology and internet there are no secrets anymore. Things like leftover Idaho deer tags, and other fallback options are now all gone. If you want tags every year and a chance to hunt areas that have mature animals your going to have to do more research than just those publications. Once a hunt has become better and hit the publications, it is usually to late to get in on the magic, or at least long odds.

I like to have 3 deer tags and 1 elk tag every year, and figuring out how to pull that off every year changes. You can't have one strategy, or a published strategy, because you are doing what 10,000 other hunters are doing. You can work the published strategy and get more tags than you are getting now though, so for some it works.

Good luck,

Rich

I don't subscribe to GoHunt, but I do currently have a subscription to a competitor that is less expensive with fewer features. Here's my thought.

If you want to draw the best mule deer unit in Utah or the best elk unit in Colorado...nothing is going to help you.

If you want to know which unit the experts recommend for deer in Nevada or elk in Wyoming so you can apply there, so do thousands of other people.

If you want to know which units you could actually draw with your 3 Wyoming antelope points or 2 Colorado deer points and how much public land each of those units has, then a subscription service can save you a lot of time over manually searching hundreds of pages of draw reports.

I feel like what a lot of people want is "How to shoot the biggest elk of your life," and what GoHunt offers is "How to make the most of your hunting opportunities in the next 3-5 years."

QQ

I personally like go hunt because it’s a one stop shop. Having said that, the information is definitely not top secret and can be easily found through agency websites - for free.
IMO this pretty much sums it up. You're basically paying for a time saving service for your research. I was a member for a while and the information provided was useful but not worth it for me based on the fact I'm currently not hunting more than a couple states a season. There is a value there as long as you don't have expectations of finding insider info or some secret honey hole.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back