NEW SITKA Ambient 75

GNP Campgrounds

idnative1948

Anybody have a favorite on the Eastside? And no, we aren't in a 40' RV just a 19' TT. Help me out please as this is my last honey-do before October...

I point people to Two Medicine Lake, against my best interests. Crowds aren't usually so bad, great hiking and wonderful wildlife watching. Nice canoeing and fishing for brookies can be good. If you want deeper in the big woods consider Bowman or Kintla Lakes on the west side.

I've always enjoyed Many Glacier, but check for availability. Its usually full. You could try St Mary's KOA, never stayed there but seen openings.

Many Glacier hands down...I go at least once a summer, usually twice.
Great hiking from the campground. Swift Current Lodge, a store and decent restaurant there. You can walk over to the parking lot in the mornings and evenings to look for animals on the mountain behind it (a park ranger is usually there with a spotting scope during the summer for a few hours). Great opportunity for the family to see, grizzly, goats, sheep etc. There are also pay phones there if you need to call out. Pay showers for those of us tent camping. A little less than half the campground is reservations only in the summer, the rest is first come first serve. Arrive early (3AM?) and park right behind the gate at the entrance. The camp hosts have a very good idea how many are leaving that morning. One leaves, one enters. There is a web site that tracks the time the campground filled over the past days.
Hike Swift Current lake. Pick up the trail at the picnic area close to Many Glacier Campground then take the junction to the right (there are usually moose back there in the summer).
Hike to Iceberg Lake if at all possible.
Don't tell anybody about this :cool:

Well if we are doing suggestions on what to do:

1. Do the boat ride.
2. Hike to Grinnell Lake, then Grinnell Glacier
3. Forget the restuarant. Both times I tried it I asked for my money back.
4. This is the animal concetration of GNP. I'd get a scope and just watch wildlife all day. Phoneskope really helps for this.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back