Glad to find OYOA

lcmcrev

My sons-in-law, hunting buddies and I hunt publics land in New Mexico. Our hunts are all DIY. We hunt elk, mule deer, turkey and barbary sheep. The challenge is not finding out of the way places to hunt with plenty of sign. The challenge is being drawn in our lottery that does not have a point system. I know some hunters who have not been drawn for any big game species in over six years. I know others who have been drawn six years in a row. Those of you who live and hunt in OTC (over the counter) states should count your blessings. I'm glad to find OYOA and hope it proves to be a decent forum for hunters like us. I have no problem with those who pay $4K+ for a guided elk hunt, but it is not our idea of hunting. We set up a base camp and bring all we need. Then we head off on the hunt with our backpacks full of essentials...and a one man bivy tent in case we need to spent the night away from camp. On public land DIY hunts, every animal you take down with bow, black powder or centerfire is a personal trophy.

Glad you found us, too.

I think you will find this to be your kind of crowd. But, when hunting season is over, things can get a little cranky around here.

Join in. Would love to see some pics or stories of your New Mexico hunts. We already filmed archery pronghorn hunting in NM this month, and will be down filming an archery mule deer hunt in January.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back