Glacier Nat. park advice

timberman56

Taking wife on early Aug. trip to Missoula, Kalispell, up Going to the Sun Rd. Staying on E. side of Glacier 3 1/2 days. Plan on going to Waterton one day. Looking for advice for: day hikes to waterfalls, glacier lakes, boat rental or tours, horseback ride, trout fishing, good places to eat, etc.

Drive Going to the Sun Road from West to East - that way you are on the outside edge of the highway looking waaaayyy down.

The hike to Iceberg Lake on the east side, from Many Glacier is great. 4.5 miles, gradual, killer views, and shrinkage if you decide to jump in.

Definitely do the bears hump hike in waterton. Short hike to a vantage point of the valley.

Glacier -- go early in the morning and avoid the crowds. Check out Hidden Lake at Logan Pass. Probably see some goats up there. Iceberg Lake is cool. I headed up at sunrise and was the first one there for the day. On the way out I passed 100 people. Lots of them had bells on there shoes/packs (don't be that guy). When I got to the trailhead I had a note on my window and a confiscated cooler.

I like Waterton better. Crypt Trail is a must. I did Carthrew two weeks ago. It was pretty cool up top, but bland on both ends. Cameron Lake is awesome. Rent some kayaks and check out the lake. Red Rock Canyon always seems to have bears and is a neat area. Town is cool with libations and the employees are enjoyable, unlike the southern neighbor.

Give me a PM. I live nearby for 20+ years have roamed Glacier/Waterton. What are you looking for? Are you going to hike? Many Glacier Valley is best for wildlife, bighorn, grizzly. Two Medicine Valley is off the beaten track and you can avoid crowds. (relatively speaking.) North Fork of the Flathead (Kintla Lake) is beautiful for Big Woods and Big Lakes, fewer people but you have to endure bad roads. If you're going to drive Going to Sun Road, start early and be patient. Dealing with tourists is just part of the equation.

Couple trips from earlier this month.

Glacier don't suck.

Waterton won't disappont either. GuNR is permitted on trails in Waterton, so he approves as well.

You'll get more/better info from the guys above, but I will say I'm jealous! Having only been to GNP once and having visited quite a few other parks, GNP is my favorite. Super cool place.

FWIW, we saw quite a few mtn goats just outside of the park at Goat Lick just off the highway. Don't forget to look under the bridge for them...

If you take 83 from Missoula to Kalispell (although 93 is probably quicker), Rovero's gas station in Seeley Lake makes one mean "burger bundle." I probably ate 10 of them during my bear hunt this past spring :hump:

glacier info

are there trout in most of the lakes and larger streams (Iceburg L.)? Will check out the Bear Hump@ Waterton. biggest challange may be getting wife up and going early. This is mainly a trip for wife putting up with me for 10 yr.- both in 50's so no rock climbing or 20 mi. hikes. Looking for scenic views within 3-4 mi. hike, wildlife, trout fishing, kayak on lake. staying at Many Glacier & Waterton if we can get a room. Is there boat rental at Two Medicine? Only have Mustang rental-no 4WD so need to stay on pavement. Think Kintla is out this time-spending most of time on E. side. Miller-great pix, can't wait. Pointer-goats under bridge-really? LCH-will go up 93 on way in but may return to Missoula on 83 & try Rovero's. thanks for replys guys Ben-p.m. sent

Re: fishing on Glacier's East Side. Two Medicine Lakes and associated streams have brookies that need to be killed for their own good, up to 12 inches. Hidden Lake (hike in from Logan Pass) has wonderful fishing for big Yellowstone cutthroats but it's catch-and-release only. Red Eagle Lake is known for cutt-rainbow hybrids (including the state record) but the hike in is kind of a slog through timber. Duck Lake on the Blackfoot Rez (just east of Babb) is known for big planter rainbows, often caught from float tubes. You need a reservation permit to fish on the rez, but I think Glacier permit are free (double check!) The Park does require lead-free tackle. Overall, Glacier waters are cold and clear and not particularly productive fisheries but are beautiful to fish.

I always feel bad for the tourists who stop and try to lick the goats at Goat Lick. Please people. Respect the wildlife.

If you are looking for a motel in waterton, check out the bear mountain motel. Good price and reviews. They dont take online reservations, need to call or email so that seems to deter a few people and you might have a shot at a room. We stayed in june and would recommend. Should be a great trip, share some pics when you get back. Have fun.

Make sure to be at the logan pass vivitors center last hr of daylight one day the Bighorn Rams come to look for easy food.They will even fight for dropped snacks on pavement.

Back