Ginormous Moose pics

Thats a bigun alright,

I have kept my eye on a pretty nice bull that spends his summer and fall about 40 minutes from the house. Seen him every year for 4 years, then was not able to look for him last year. Plan to put my son, daughter and wife in for him this year....if he is still around.

Man, those Alaskan and Yukon versions sure make our local Shiras looks small

Thanks for the link.....

I thought this was very interesting.

"According to moose expert Dr. Valerius Geist, for a young bull to grow superior antlers it must mature in a low-density population of moose and “in habitats rich in deciduous forage, primarily willows that grow in the flood plains and deltas of silt-laden rivers.” Silt is extremely fertile soil and fewer moose mean less competition for the best food.

But achieving low moose density is, like comedy, not pretty. In Geist’s words, moose left to their own devices will enjoy “phenomenal birth rates.” So to produce tremendous antlers, a moose population has to experience at least a decade of severe calf predation, usually carried out by bears. The poetic irony is that the grizzly’s claws grow unmatched moose antlers. So as numbers go down, more trophies go up."

I think you should go post Geist's theory on big moose over at AOD and see what kind of response you get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back