Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Gillette area antelope issues

wytex

Just heard of some possible die off near Gillette. Not sure what the cause is or how wide spread. Sounds like not winter kill but another issue. Check with your biologist if you're planning to hunt up that way. Hoping it is an isolated issue.
A friend that works with WG&F told us of this, he just heard it himself.

I heard they found many dead but don't know the cause yet, may be thinking some kind of disease or perhaps something toxic in a particular area.

Some antelope in the Gillette area did die from Mycoplasma bovis. It is quite rare for antelope to die from this bacterial disease; it is more common in cattle.

I am not sure how extensive the "die off" was, but my guess is not a lot of antelope died.

ClearCreek

Reactions: LCH
I bet that is what I heard about ClearCreek. It was a G&F guy telling us about it , seems the mystery of what killed them was greater than the number of animals dead.

I bet that is what I heard about ClearCreek. It was a G&F guy telling us about it , seems the mystery of what killed them was greater than the number of animals dead.

wytex:

It is kind of a mystery, as this could be the first confirmed case of antelope deaths caused by Mycoplasma bovis.

ClearCreek

When I was there 3 years ago, there was a "die-off" of one buck that I know of! ;P

Yesterday I got a note from my rancher's wife saying that they are seeing dead ones, both young and old. There is a WY DOT webcam not too far from their place and they did not have a bad winter as far as I could tell.

Yesterday I got a note from my rancher's wife saying that they are seeing dead ones, both young and old. There is a WY DOT webcam not too far from their place and they did not have a bad winter as far as I could tell.
Any update on the die off near Douglas?

My contacts did not hear of any there so hopefully an isolated incident or just a rumor.

Hope it isn't major. That is my fallback area if we don't get drawn down south.

I live just outside of Gillette. I haven't even heard of this. I haven't seen any dead ones until this morning. There was a mature doe laying behind my house.

Any update on the die off near Douglas?

No. I should probably call the warden for that area, since he was called about it at the time. I did see lopes along the roads in various places from Spearfish to Livingston, MT down to Pinedale and over to Cheyenne this past week. Nuttin in SD or Nebraska that I noted.

Back