Giant illinois whitetail

nickdooley987

Just kidding its actually a pretty small 6 pointer but i wanted everyone to look lol... before you jump to conclusion and start ripping me read story

So i posted last week that i missed a huge 10 point buck, well its 2nd deer season in Illinois now and i missed another decent buck, i was starting to really 2nd guess my skills as a hunter, Friday night i had a nice fat doe and about 75 yds and pulled the trigger and nothing, i ejected shell and the primer was hit but it never fired, so i loaded another and the same thing happened.. needless to say i was a little upset. So Saturday i decided i would go back to my old style of hunting, i was using a 12 gauge H+R single shot ultra slug with scope and Remington accutip sabot slugs, Saturday i pulled out the tried and true smoothbore shot gun and $3.17 a box federal pumpkin ball slugs.. to make a long story short i hunted hard all day saturday and didnt see anything, about 30 min before last light i saw a group of about 10 deer moving through some heavy cover about 600 yards away, knowing that they were headed for the clear cut between public and private i made a move, i sprinted about 300 yards, crawled another 200 and belly crawled the last 30, when this guy gave me a clear shot in the opening i took him, hes not my biggest buck by far but hes the one im proudest of, i overcame alot of frustration and learned a lesson, when it comes to hunting, woodsmanship and skill beat the hottest new technology everytime..
he may not be huge but he sure will taste good, and im mounting his antler plate just to give me a little reminder of the ol "kiss" saying, keep it simple stupid
Thanks

Last edited:
attachment.php

Congratulations, great story and way to stay at it!
I liked everything except your last picture. Those images of dead animals on tail gates or tied to cars do nothing but hurt the image of hunters. Dont mind the partial head or rack sticking out, just my opinion.

Congrats again.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back