Getting started reloading pointers

Cheesehead

Hi all!
My best friend growing up did reloading and I used to help out on weekends, so not totally unfamiliar...that said I’m looking to go from zero to 60 to start start reloading myself (300 WM, 270, 6.5 MB, couple other centerfires, maybe some pistol rounds...not planning on shotgun)
I’d really appreciate any tips or ‘I wish I woulda done it differently/made purchases differently getting started’ inputs
Current plan is to just grab a Rock Chucker and basic gear and start getting tennis elbow cranking until I learn otherwise through the school of hard knocks.
Thanks!

One key to a good start is to buy one or two loading handbooks, I like Hornady and Nosler.

As for equipment, there are good starter kits from RCBS, Hornady, and Lee. But each has some components that are limited and often (but not always) folks end up upgrading some parts - which raises long term overall cost. I went a different path and pulled the items together individually that best fit my intended uses. I found these two links super helpful to that end.

Also, these three youtube channels are useful resources:

Plus BigFin has a nice 6 part series done with Nosler:

One key to a good start is to buy one or two loading handbooks, I like Hornady and Nosler.

As for equipment, there are good starter kits from RCBS, Hornady, and Lee. But each has some components that are limited and often (but not always) folks end up upgrading some parts - which raises long term overall cost. I went a different path and pulled the items together individually that best fit my intended uses. I found these two links super helpful to that end.

Building a Reloading Setup: The Essentials

Expanding and Refining a Reloading Setup

You’re the best. Thanks man 🙏🏽

I highly recommend the first 2 , i haven't seen the nex 2. ( i will check them out) i bought my starter rcbs set off craigslist . If your not in a hurry you can probably pick one up cheep . Although sometimes people ask top dollar. Anyway that's what i did and then started adding pieces. Rcbs does have a good rebate right now.

I tend to like to hunt for the best deals. When I started reloading, I gave myself plenty of time to acquire equipment while I read through the ABC’s of Reloading and the instructional half of my then new Lyman 49th. I pieced together everything I needed and have upgraded some of it, but most has stayed the same. I found most of my deals at garage sales, estate sales, local sportsmen’s auctions, ebay, and classified sections of a few different forums. Heck I just bought an old Herters press last week locally from FB Marketplace. I tend to buy the basics to have on hand for when I get my next victim into reloading. That’s been my style and I know it doesn’t work for everyone but lots of this equipment doesn’t wear out so used is the route I’d take.

Purchase I wish I would done different I started off with a beam scale then went to a digital scale then to a powder thrower I wish I would of went straight to a digital powder thrower I also started off with a hand trimmer and reamer then went to a Lyman case prep I wish I would of done that sooner I’ve got an extra media tumbler and probably some other stuff I’d make you a deal on if your interested i can go thru and see what all extra stuff I have

I think i paid 180 for a rock chucker set with a tumblr and 3 or 4 dies buch of pieces and parts manual trimer ... also the lee book is pretty good for beginners Screenshot_20200812-230717_Google.jpg

I did watch a couple videos and gunblue is awesome i forgot his utube name . Is annealing video is the best that ive seen or read about . Watched the first two of randys and they seem great for an absolute beginner and i still picked a couple things up

For me, I bought a cheap digital scale from Hornady, piece of junk. Either buy a quality digital scale, like $100+, or stick with a beam scale.

Oh and never forget the calipers. I use them all the time to confirm my case sizes and seating depths

For me, I bought a cheap digital scale from Hornady, piece of junk. Either buy a quality digital scale, like $100+, or stick with a beam scale.

Oh and never forget the calipers. I use them all the time to confirm my case sizes and seating depths

Great to know, I was just looking at the cheap 50$ digital scales last night

Case prep tools.. A RCBS or a Lyman trim pro will be your new best friend.
I recently upgraded (at least I am hoping it was an upgrade) to a drum tumbler using stainless steep media rods. Supposedly this thing is the bees knees for cleaning brass and saves quite a bit of time.
SD_Prairie_Goat mentioned good scales.. I cannot stress this enough. If you buy cheap you will regret it soon. Same as calipers.. they will be used every time you load a batch or rounds up.
Get a stuck case remover or buy carbide dies.
Neck size what you can.
Keep your reloading area organized.

Get a hand priming tool.

Use Imperial Sizing Die Wax for lube

Avoid Hornady and Lee dies. Redding and Forster are DEFINITELY my preferred brands.
+1 hand priming

I use Hornady Oneshot over Imperial Wax - this is definitely a quasi-religious Chevy vs Ford type topic with hand loaders.

If just for sub 400y hunting using traditional length lead bullets the Lee dies are a fairly decent budget die set, but with longer bullets and mono bullets some of them overexpand the necks which is a huge pain - I have moved to Redding after having to throw away a couple of Lees (but still have a few in good use).

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back