Yeti GOBOX Collection

Getting started duck hunting

RyeGuy74

Just wondering how easy it is to get started duck hunting? I want to expand my list of birds I hunt, which as of now just includes pheasants and turkeys. I don't own land so it'd be public land only but that's easy to find. I'm just look for advice from people that have/are hunting ducks. Thanks in advance

Where do you live? This will influence what style of hunting you are interested in based on where you find ducks (drainage ditches, marshes, coast, farm ponds, desert tanks, lakes, fields) and how you take them (pass shooting, call/decoy/blinds, jump shooting)

Where do you live? This will influence what style of hunting you are interested in based on where you find ducks (drainage ditches, marshes, coast, farm ponds, desert tanks, lakes, fields) and how you take them (pass shooting, call/decoy/blinds, jump shooting)
Wisconsin

An easy way to get started is jump shooting puddle ducks. Scout out some public water open to waterfowl hunting such as a marshes or slow-moving creeks during the daytime. Bring some binos and look and listen for ducks. Then come up with a plan to sneak up close to the birds via walking or canoe/kayak and shoot them. You can also shoot Canada geese and coot, which often occupy the same habitat. For starters, just shoot one duck at a time. The reason for this is in WI you are only allowed one hen mallard per day, and you don't accidentally want to shoot 2. About 95% of the ducks you will see are probably spoonbills, wood ducks, teal, or mallards. After you shoot one duck, use your smartphone to identify it. If you did shoot a hen mallard, you MUST ensure that the next one duck you shoot is NOT a hen mallard, but anything else may be taken. Continue to use this process of elimination to make sure you don't go over your limit on particular species, shooting one duck at a time. Wear either muck boots or waders. If you wear muck boots, make sure you have a kayak or canoe to retrieve your birds in the water. Another option is a small spinning reel with a hula popper used to snag the duck carcass and reel it in. Make sure you plug your shotgun to max 3 shells if using a semi-auto or pump. Also, make sure to buy a federal duck stamp and a state waterfowl stamp if one is required in WI.

Not having a dog for retrieving downed waterfowl, I bring a fishing rod along as well. In Kansas, we have separate fish/hunt licenses, so make sure you also have a fishing license to satisfy a game warden who migh check you.

All waterfowl hunting must also be done with non-toxic shot only. (Rare exceptions to the rule exist, just go with it and you are safe)

If you have a shotgun you're half was at there.

Find a local Delta Waterfowl chapter and find some guys you take you.

It's a deep rabbit hole. But a ton of different options for you in the waterfowl world.

If you have a shotgun you're half was at there.

Find a local Delta Waterfowl chapter and find some guys you take you.

It's a deep rabbit hole. But a ton of different options for you in the waterfowl world.
If your in southern Wisconsin I can help with part of that. I'm on the committee for a delta chapter here on the state line. Speaking of which we are having our banquet in two weeks. PM me if you have any interest in delta.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back