Getting new broadheads.

trophy_killer

Well I started shooting graphite arrows through my legacy. I have previously used Easton XX75 aluminum arrows with 125 grain Thunderhead broadheads. However I have been reading a lot of good things about expandable broadheads and have made up my mind that is what I'm going to shoot. What kind do all of you reccomend?? For it to be legal in the states I will be using my bow in, it has to be 7/8" across before it expands. I also need to get them in 100 grain. I want it to have 3 blades also. Thanks everyone.

I have shot expandable broadheads, want do it again. You have to watch your shot, if you get a shot that has to much angle, you can get a glancing shot. You also lose some penatration. I would do some more reading before you make up your mind.

Expandables I have used with good success that are 3 blade and 100 grains (I'm not sure of the un-opened diamater):

NAP shockwave
NAP spitfire
Game Tracker first cut

I once used the two blade that NAP put out but had a poor blood trail on a double lung shot that should have produced more blood IMO.

I will add that if you can get fixed blade broadheads to fly right, shoot em! I have only hunted an animal larger than deer once so penetration has not been a problem for me, but I know you hunt elk that are a bit harder to put down. If I were you I'd take all the extra bone crunching, deep digging kenetic energy that I can get, especially shooting carbons.

I'm a little biased, but I have use a few types of broadheads.

First, if you pick a good one, like I will recommend, don't sweat the naysayers on mech. heads. The penetration is great. As far as heads glancing off at and angle.. I've shot a lot of game at angles with expandables and have not seen that happen. Not to say it can't.. but it can happen just the same with a fixed blade head.

The ONLY drawback is those pain in the ass rubber bands. I haven't seen a mech head that doesn't use bands that I'd hunt with though. NAP spitfires have just as much planing surface as a lot of fixed heads so I don't see the advantage in a head like that. Also, some of the other "innovative" ideas i've seen are crap.

The best one out there is the Rocket brand. THey are the TICKET. I've been shooting them for a few years and anymore it's all I use. I killed an elk, antelope, and 3 deer with them this year.. all pass-through shots if you count the leg hit antelope. Every other shot was in the chest and I saw every animal bite it within 75 yards. They didn't go far.

In 2000 I shot an elk tightly quartering to me. The arrow went in front of the shoulder blade and angled through it's entire body, with the tip sticking out of the opposite ham. He gave me a second shot from the rear and I shot him in the ham.. the arrow angled forward all the way into the opposite lung. THAT's penetration.

Those are 75 grain rocket wolverines with the chisel tip. I shoot ACC 349 arrows 27" long, light set-up, but it kills the shit out of stuff without ANY inadequacies.

I hear a lot of guys bitching about mech head "failures". Most of these guys are making excuses for shitty shots that would have "failed" with any broadhead.

I've heard an outfitter here locally is thinking about not allowing mech heads due to a couple bad seasons of recoveries, most of which are mech head shooters. When asked where the shots were you'll hear ... neck, leg, guts, shoulderblade, ham... Anyhow.. that don't have shit to do with mech. heads.

Look at the rockets and don't pick one that opens WAY up.. pick one that opens to about 1.5" across. YOu try one of them things that opens like a umbrella, don't expect good penetration.

I'll get off my podium now.

Great post Kurt..
I was thinking myself about jumping into the expandable market to give it a try...I have never shot them...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

The rocky snyper is a real neat design. its a great deer head but wouldnt use them on elk until they improve the tip strenght. If they improve the tip it will be the one to beat!!

I switched from Muzzy 100's to the new two bladed Modoc 100's. I can't argue. I had a high double lung shot that put my bulldown within seconds. When I cleaned him out, less than 30 minutes later, I pulled out blood clots bigger than my arm.

I'm going to stick with them again this year. Especially since I still have all 9 of them
smile.gif

bulldown

Damn Greeny,
You were on your soapbox for awhile there!!!
biggrin.gif
But, your absolutely right! Certain designs aren't that great but, some are as good as Fixed blades in skilled hands with good shot placement!!! Alot of guys go with an expandable with a big'ol cutting diameter and don't realize the kinetic energy it takes to push an arrow through!!

ElkhntrinMD

I had great successes with 75Gr. Mini-Max Vortex but was getting tired of the rubber bands when it came time to practice and having to tie shut the blades. I went to the Steele Force fixed blades and had a pass through heart/lung shot on a cow elk that ran forever. I never did recover her. I've gone back and will most likely stick with the Mini-Max. I've never had one fail me yet. All of my animals have dropped less then 40 yds from where they were hit. I still get impressed of the devastation those broad heads do.

My $.02 worth
cmc

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back