Yeti GOBOX Collection

Getting it done on public land

welp, tonight was pretty pointless and reminded me why I don’t spend too much time doing that and why I got into skiing.
Sat there for 3hrs getting blown all over hell by the stupid 25mph wind.

Campground is out in the wide open so I’m guessing there’s not even gonna be a way to have a fire tonight.

Think I’m gonna take down my tent and go hang out with my cat.
😡

welp, tonight was pretty pointless and reminded me why I don’t spend too much time doing that and why I got into skiing.
Sat there for 3hrs getting blown all over hell by the stupid 25mph wind.

Campground is out in the wide open so I’m guessing there’s not even gonna be a way to have a fire tonight.

Think I’m gonna take down my tent and go hang out with my cat.
😡
Wow.
Sounds like somebody needs to call whine11.

Anyways, let’s build on this.
What did we learn:
1. Always pack a shotgun and read the rules and regs.
Turns out rabbit season doesn’t close during shotgun season and there was a lot of good tall grass and brush down there to walk around during the day while it was super windy.
2. Don’t use a tree stand when there’s a wind advisory.
If you tethered a person to a chair and put a variable speed 25-50mph fan in front of them for 3hrs it would be called Guantanamo bay.
Never again.
3. If the tent campground is an open field in December, pay the $6 extra bucks and get a camper spot in the actual woods.
4. There’s obviously deer down there so maybe go back when it’s not windy af.

About 20 more days to get it done.
I’m not worried.
I’ll kill.

Wow.
Sounds like somebody needs to call whine11.

Anyways, let’s build on this.
What did we learn:
1. Always pack a shotgun and read the rules and regs.
Turns out rabbit season doesn’t close during shotgun season and there was a lot of good tall grass and brush down there to walk around during the day while it was super windy.
2. Don’t use a tree stand when there’s a wind advisory.
If you tethered a person to a chair and put a variable speed 25-50mph fan in front of them for 3hrs it would be called Guantanamo bay.
Never again.
3. If the tent campground is an open field in December, pay the $6 extra bucks and get a camper spot in the actual woods.
4. There’s obviously deer down there so maybe go back when it’s not windy af.

About 20 more days to get it done.
I’m not worried.
I’ll kill.
5. I need to come up with a more efficient harness setup.
Especially for ascending and descending the tree.
I’ve been rolling the dice climbing with no harness, wearing backpack with a ratchet strap in my pocket and a haul rope for my bow in my hand for too long.

I just want to take a minute to remind my Midwestern brethren’s that coming into the long soggy winter we’ve gotta work hard to maintain our cardiovascular health and give the women of tinder what they deserve.
We’ve also gotta remember as hunters we always need to be building and maintaining clout in the mountain biking community so that our thoughts and beliefs are taken seriously in meetings concerning public land.
“You think your opinion matters Steve?!?!? Pull up your ****ing strava! Let’s let the numbers talk!!!”

Now let’s take what we’ve learned here today and build off it.

C6AA02B4-6A47-41F2-8892-83CFFA58B267.jpeg
7E904F37-E775-4D45-9AF1-06A5E92F0F8F.jpeg

5. I need to come up with a more efficient harness setup.
Especially for ascending and descending the tree.
I’ve been rolling the dice climbing with no harness, wearing backpack with a ratchet strap in my pocket and a haul rope for my bow in my hand for too long.
If you want out of the norm ideas let me know. Climbing trees is my jam. We got Wllm set up with a pretty good setup I think.

If you want out of the norm ideas let me know. Climbing trees is my jam. We got Wllm set up with a pretty good setup I think.
Is this just a slip knot around the tree or is there something more going in that I can’t see?
I could just do this rope around the tree straight to a climbing harness right?
That’s what they’re doing in the picture?
AA4AB5FE-7425-4865-A8EE-67E5BAA2C308.jpeg

Maybe idk what a slip knot is...
But the picture is just a rope with a loop wrapped around the tree?
Yes. My go to knot would be a bowline with Yosemite tie off. Very strong knot, and if you ever shock load it you can still get it undone. There is a lot of very strong 8mm rope now that would hold plenty of weight and not weigh down your pack. If you were using the rope to climb I would go bigger so you could hold it but an 8mm line would be perfect for a safety line. Then the adjustable portion you could just tie a Prussik. Or there are mechanical adjustment devices like the one Kong makes.

Attachments

• 0B8287B6-639A-470F-A4E6-B6A96349CA1D.png
    0B8287B6-639A-470F-A4E6-B6A96349CA1D.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 11
  • A776D0E1-13F3-42AB-9607-65D8CE4F6DBA.jpeg
    A776D0E1-13F3-42AB-9607-65D8CE4F6DBA.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 12
It’s probably self explanatory, but the benefit of Prussik (“slip”) knot IMO is that it allows for easy adjustability and lengthening of the lead.

It’s a nice setup for different sized trees and I like that you can slide it down with one hand making your tether longer- when I have bucks come from behind/right I always reach up and just lengthen a bit to prepare for that shot.

Last edited:
It’s probably self explanatory, but the benefit of Prussik (“slip”) knot IMO is that it allows for easy adjustability and lengthening of the lead.

It’s a nice setup for different sized trees and I like that you can slide it down with one hand making your tether longer- when I have bucks come from behind/right I always reach up and just lengthen a bit to prepare for that shot.
I prob can’t justify buying one this year, but I’m definitely getting one of these climbing harness setups for next season.
I’ve been tangled up in those shoulders straps and back tether at full draw too many times.

I’ve always thought those climbing harness setups would make getting tangled up way more likely, who knows.

HSS Shadow harness and the safety line that you posted is a great setup- cheap and simple.

I’ve always thought those climbing harness setups would make getting tangled up way more likely, who knows.
Hold up, what setup are you talking about?
I’m thinking I’m gonna get a short piece of climbing rope 5ish ft, tie a loop in one end, wrap it around the tree, pull it through the loop, attach a rope man 1 to the end of the rope ive pulled through the loop, attach a carabiner to the rope man and then slide that to where I want it on the rope and attach it to the front of a rock climbing harness that’s only on your waist and legs. 🤷‍♂️

Seems like it would be way easier having the rope at waist height in front of you for going up and down with the climber and with the climbing harness you can take your jackets on and off while in the stand.
92258377-26A5-493C-B1A4-06F4DDA733DF.png

I’m sure your way will work, just seems more complicated.

With the harness and safety rope I mentioned, you just keep sliding the safety rope up as you climb- it’s always above your head, including while hunting. Grab the Prussik with one hand and slide down if you need more slack.

Like I said- that’s the way that seems to work best for me but I know other guys refer other methods.

Hold up, what setup are you talking about?
I’m thinking I’m gonna get a short piece of climbing rope 5ish ft, tie a loop in one end, wrap it around the tree, pull it through the loop, attach a rope man 1 to the end of the rope ive pulled through the loop, attach a carabiner to the rope man and then slide that to where I want it on the rope and attach it to the front of a rock climbing harness that’s only on your waist and legs. 🤷‍♂️

Seems like it would be way easier having the rope at waist height in front of you for going up and down with the climber and with the climbing harness you can take your jackets in and off while in the stand.
Waste is WAY better. Although a rock climbing harness would work I would look at something with a floating bridge rather than d loop and something designed to sit in. Something like a tethrd saddle or one of their competitors is worth the price in my opinion. With a rock climbing harness (not made for sitting) you cannot rotate your hips against the rope like you can in a saddle.
F2D844EA-91FE-45DF-9493-EC960451A989.jpeg274A26C0-5C6C-40E6-BECD-9AB5674DF93F.jpegD227C786-A3B3-40A1-BF4C-FE7F1105BA6F.jpegE831E54D-2647-444F-B762-3AA56E2CD8D9.jpeg8F2D7DAF-011F-403F-8037-07AA046C7F2E.jpeg4091306E-E884-4032-94A0-E56F9C899D37.jpeg692CD5B5-6D61-44F1-B119-63EBA702BA64.jpeg63F2A2A0-C302-4272-B6E0-FC506BC821F9.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back