Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

German Wirehair pointer...

Moosie

Grand poopa
A guy in the Office wants one. talk to me about pros and Con's . The $500 price tag is a Con to me, But I'm not a big "dog" guy. Doggy style yes, Dog, no.

Any info out there ?

Moosie is more of a gerbil lover.

About the dog....What's he plan on using it for? upland only, waterfowl, bunnies?

$500 price tag is in line for a good pup from PROVEN parents.

WH - does your dog stay in most of the time? Does it have a good (but not excessive)layer of fat in the winter?

I had several shorthairs, and all handled the cold just fine. In fact, they loved cold water! After all, Germany gets a lot colder than here. I think many GSPs have had too much English pointer bred into them "off the books" to increase their ranging and style. The English do not have the thick coat that the GSP does. The GSP should have a short, but very thick coat - especially in the winter. Also, when they are out in the cold, they need a lot more calories, especially if they are hunting hard in the cold! I found that peanut butter or peanut butter with rice crispies in a golf ball-sized serving helped a lot in the field to keep their energy level up and the shivering down.

As far as wirehairs go - they are good dogs and probably more true to the orginal breed than most GSPs, since they are not as popular with the non-hunting crowd.

I've heard good things about GWP's, but never had any experience with them myself. I really like the "versatile dog" idea in that they can be good pointers for upland birds and good retrievers for waterfowl, although I am just an upland dude myself. If I lived in a state that had decent waterfowl hunting, I'd consider getting one. I think they look cool too.

Also, tell your friend to consider a DD ("Deutsch Drahthaar" = "German Wirehair"). They're considered a different breed than GWP's but from the same background. They're also not AKC, so maybe the hunting instinct in them is generally better preserved. Here's some info about them:
http://www.drahthaar.com/

Here's one kennel I know somebody who has one of these from and is very pleased:
http://www.vommoorehaus.com/refs.htm

As was mentioned, $500 is typical for a good field bred pointing pup. It's the formal training that makes them expensive, if you choose to do it.

Good luck to your friend!

Tell him to get a pointing labrador. If he does his homework he can have the ultimate dog. They do it all!!!

Wanna bet!!! Obviously you have never hunted behind one. I have hunted upland behind shorthairs, spaniels and POINTING labs and the pointing lab held point just as well as any pointer I've been behind. You read one article on the internet and suddenly you believe everything you read?!? If so you might wanna check this out. http://www.pointinglabs.com/ I know a guy in Boise who breeds, hunts and enters them in the trials.

No labrador RETRIEVER that has been trained to point instead of flush will do it with the competency, consistentcy, style, and class that a pointing breed will.

I love labs, they excel with waterfowl and do ok with upland. But I'd have to say, a lab that is on "point" looks like a turd on a sidewalk.

real life gsp locked up tight on chukar
04_Chukars_002.sized.jpg

real life great looking labrador RETRIEVER that has been trained to point
pointinglab.jpg

My opinion is let pointers point, and let retrievers retrieve. I've had both and love em all for their hard wired attributes.

Back to the discussion, GWP have been called the hardest core of the pointing breeds. They tend to be bigger and can stand the cold temps and can do acceptable water retrieves in moderate weather. If he wants a dog that will do both water and upland, I'd vote for a retriever.

T-Bone.
I love hunting with dogs period. For me it is not so much the killing aspect of bird hunting, but I love watching a dog work. I do have to disagree with you though. A pointing lab is not taught to point. It is a genetic thing. You can't train an eight week old pup to point at its first experience of a bird. Like a pointer it is the genes. I've been around em enough to know that If I had to have one dog for all bird hunting a pointing lab would be my first choice.

I did get a chuckle out of "turd on the sidewalk" tho.

All that being said... the Dog was Bought and Brought over to my house tonight. And me, Like a Slacker didn't take a Picture .... |oo |oo |oo

Dang nice looking pup though. Even liked my house enough to mark it's territory in my front livingroom... :eek:

I saw a dancing chicken once. The guy that had it put it on a hot plate. The chicken just stood there until the plate got hot then started to "dance"
Was the chicken dancing or a product of it's environment?
I know a guy that bought a "pointing lab" The dog never pointed. Not once in the whole time he has owned it. Did the guy get a dancing chicken? Ron

fowladdict, I hunted over my first "pointing lab" about 25 years ago when a friend took me out to show me what they are like. Since then I've watched about 5 more hunt. Then when I took my friends out and showed them what a real pointing dog looked like they could easily see the difference. People who are into "pointing labs" don't even know what a pointing dog does and what a lab is for. You can teach any kind of dog to whoa when he first smells a bird. You can even teach a hamster to stop and stand still when he first smells food. That doesn't mean the dog or the hamster is pointing.

Sorry, but labs don't point. I suggest you start a topic about pointing labs over at the versatile dogs site. There have been many discussions there about them.

You're way out of your league here when you try to tell some of us about "pointing labs" and I'm not going to waste anymore of my time educating another "pointing lab" nut. I've been through it too many times.

Moosie,

Congrats to your friend...Any form of a hunting dog is awesome! hump

Ithaca I'm sorry I struck a nerve with you. I prefer pointing labs and you don't...no problem!

GWP's are great dogs...I have had two for 16 years now. Here are some of the breeds traits as I see them.

Pros
  • Natural pointers from birth.
  • Great family dogs, good with kids, even babies.
  • Good boundry protecting dogs whether your home, in your truck, or in a duck blind.
  • Can be easily trained.
  • Don't shed alot.
  • Smart and love attention.
  • Like water.
  • Willing to hunt most any animal.

Cons
  • Too smart sometimes.
  • High energy and needy of attention.
  • Willing to hunt most any animal.
  • Tender feet. Thorns can really bother them.
  • Some, depending of their coat need to be maintained by cutting and brushing.
  • Some can be hard headed.

Like any dog, the things that make you love them...bug you sometimes, but I wonder If i'll ever own a different breed :)

Back