Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

German Shorthair Pointer input

Do you guys kennel your dogs during the day at work or how do you handle the day with them? Exercise morning and evenings? How are they as far as barking goes, by this I’m curious do they sit and bark for hours on end or does a bark collar eliminate this or is there a better method?

If we are home the dog is with us. If not, she is kenneled. Tell her kennel she knows where to go. For whatever reason, my dog isn't much of barker but that could change as she gets older. She whines if she know we are going on a walk, run, or bike.

FWIW: We started her on a kennel from day 1 for sleeping and if we are gone. Goes in there no issues, curls into a ball, and rarely here a peep out of her.

Best advice I got from an experienced breeder is to ask what they wish the parents did better. If they tell you nothing, they either lack honesty or insight into their dogs. Both of which should be avoided.
Great point and they should tell you why they chose this breeding. What traits they want to maintain and thigh they hope to improve.

GSPs are my favorite dog in the world but I no longer have the energy to run them as much as they need. As everyone said they have a lot of energy and if they can't burn it off they can become destructive. They are bull headed so you have to establish that you are the boss real early or they will run all over you. I had a large male named Jake and if he was on a trail and you were in the way he would literally run you over. I thought my hunting partner was going to shoot him one day by the time he go himself up off the ground and gathered up his shotgun he cooled of and saw the humor in it. Supper family dogs but with all that energy they do nock the kids over every now and then.

GSPs are my favorite dog in the world but I no longer have the energy to run them as much as they need. As everyone said they have a lot of energy and if they can't burn it off they can become destructive. They are bull headed so you have to establish that you are the boss real early or they will run all over you. I had a large male named Jake and if he was on a trail and you were in the way he would literally run you over. I thought my hunting partner was going to shoot him one day by the time he go himself up off the ground and gathered up his shotgun he cooled of and saw the humor in it. Supper family dogs but with all that energy they do nock the kids over every now and then.

A family dog is another aspect in which this dog will be. What has been your experience as far as how much exercise is needed to burn that energy off? I get that it will vary from dog to dog but is a 1.5mile walk in the morning and evening enough to burn that energy?

We have a Springer but looking to get a GSP for the next puppy dawg. My perception is they are about the same size, demeanor, etc, only the GSP keeps short hair.
Any input on Springers vs GSPs?

1.5 mile walks even twice daily won't do much IME.

Today I took my GSP on a 5 mile bike ride. Biking has been great for her. I get 5 miles in pretty quick and she gets to run at a descent pace (10-12 MPH). IME this is the activity to calm them down if you can't let them run on public land or you don't have a decent backyard. I only run at a 6.5-7.2 MPH pace and I don't think it's fast enough for her plus I don't love running.
My son took her on a 1.4 mile walk after the bike ride.
She is fairly calm in the house today.
She could easily go another 10 miles (no joke) and doesn't in the least bit seem tired.
Endurance athletes.

Agreed with pretty much what everyone says.

Smart, loyal, high energy, high prey drive, great family dogs, and seemingly idiot proof. Only times that I wouldnt recommend one is if you dont have a large yard/space for exercise or if you arent going to hunt them regularly.

I've had 3 GSP's. 1 bad, 1 good, and 1 one amazing. Let me say that the bad one just didn't hunt. She, SCOUT was a sweetie otherwise.
I went to pick out a pup from a friend that raised them. I looked and fell in love with the girl. Out of my eye I kept noticing a boy that just kept going with his nose down. He ran off and we had to find him. I thought "no way do I want that pup". Well, I took the girl home and she showed ABSOLUTELY no interest in birds..... NONE if you can believe that. I called the guy and told him I wanted to trade pups. I went back and the same boy was still there doing the same thing. I took him (and kept the girl since I was attached after 4 weeks). He, "BROWNDOG" turned out to be the most amazing dog that I have ever had. Great hunter, docile, fast learner and as it turned out my "soul dog" if that could be understood. We could read each others mind.
The message...... BROWNDOG was the greatest and his litter mate SCOUT had no interest in hunting at all.
They are good dogs and come in all kinds. As with any dogs it's a crap shoot. Lots of good advice from others.

I’ve not owned one, but my BIL’s just passed last month at 14. I hunted with him and boarded him a few times.

Pros: good nose, incredible bird hunting ability, beautiful coat, unique gait, low aggression, sturdy for their size, easily hunts all day, longevity, above avg cleanliness, easy coat maintenance.

Cons: loyalty can be an issue (running off to make friends with other people - I’ve seen several GSP’s do this)

My BIL’s dog was timid around other dogs, even females. I’ve hunted over maybe a half dozen dogs, and his GSP was a phenomenal pheasant dog - the best I’ve hunted over by far. Pointed well, didn’t bump birds, found the birds, minded distance from hunter, marked birds well. We limited out in 45 mins hunting a big sea of CRP.

One thing I did when picking out my gsp was put the puppies on their back. I was told that a puppy that resists a little and then relaxes will have a better temperament. I also looked for one that would come to me.

I am considering getting another one and if I do I will be buying one of those tennis ball launchers...my old dog would wear my arm out..

Of the three dogs I have had she was the coolest dog of the bunch...to the point I am afraid I will be comparing her to the new dog.

good luck!!

As this thread keeps coming up a couple other things I noticed about mine.
-She could overheat on even a cool day, but especially on hot days. I couldn't take her for a run if it was more than 15 minutes and over 70 degrees, she'd just get too hot. That's something I wouldn'tve guessed with the short hair.
-Also, ran into issues with her as a hiking/climbing partner as she couldn't stay warm if you got wet and it was below 45 degrees or so. If she was running she was fine, but 5 hours later or whatever as the pace slowed she'd start to shiver pretty bad.
-I always appreciated that she would "drink" on command. Often when your in the mountains it could be hours between water sources, and being able to force some fluid in her when it was available helped keep her from drinking me out of water.

There's one peak around here that I've had to bail on twice because of her, once in May she got too cold, and once in August for being too hot and dry.

I forgot how much I loved hunting behind a well trained pointer until I saw your brace. We had a Weimaraner when I was a growing up and a Brittany later in my life. Both were so birdie and just loved to hunt. I haven’t been behind one since my Brittany. Sounds soft but I just couldn’t bare it. Also I feel if an owner can’t commit to that dog for its whole life, they shouldn’t get one, though others may disagree and see them as a tool.

Cheer leader on crack, perfect way to describe a well socialized GSP. Mine are 7 and 8, Molly severed her tendon connecting her bicep to her shoulder blade three years ago this week. Prior to the injury she covered six to seven times the miles my hunters did. Post injury she does about five times.
I’m heading out now, today is run crazy day. I hike hard for 1 hour, they get to go as hard as they want. Tonight after dinner we do a little training, quartering and such.
Pretty rare they don’t get exercised twice a day.
Best dogs ever

I’ve not owned one, but my BIL’s just passed last month at 14. I hunted with him and boarded him a few times.

Pros: good nose, incredible bird hunting ability, beautiful coat, unique gait, low aggression, sturdy for their size, easily hunts all day, longevity, above avg cleanliness, easy coat maintenance.

Cons: loyalty can be an issue (running off to make friends with other people - I’ve seen several GSP’s do this)

My BIL’s dog was timid around other dogs, even females. I’ve hunted over maybe a half dozen dogs, and his GSP was a phenomenal pheasant dog - the best I’ve hunted over by far. Pointed well, didn’t bump birds, found the birds, minded distance from hunter, marked birds well. We limited out in 45 mins hunting a big sea of CRP.
My dogs take about seven minutes to make friends with new guests at our lodge in Alaska. If they are well socialized they are very loving dogs.
I simply don’t like hunting them when it’s warm, they simply don’t know how to moderate their activity. The difference between 55 and 60 is huge, 70 and heavy cover you better be paying attention to your dog.

Last edited:
My dogs take about seven minutes to make friends with new guests at our lodge in Alaska. If they are well socialized they are very loving dogs.
I simply don’t like hunting them when it’s warm, they simply don’t know how to moderate their activity. The difference between 55 and 60 is huge, 70 and heavy cover you better be paying attention to your dog.
Very true! BIL would not hunt him or his previous GSP unless it was down to 60 and overcast

Here are a few more thought, FWIW. Most folks aren't going to take the time to go visit the kennel, and for those who are more dog experienced I don't think it's as big a deal. I do think this is very important if you're not familiar with the breed and either have first hand experience or have a trusted source of information. All that said, if your only contact with the breeder is via phone then you better be willing to have a very open and frank conversation that entails the following:

1) Is my situation right for one of your dogs? Don't describe as what you hope it to be, be honest and real. Don't make shit up to try and make the environment sound better than it is.
2) What are the strongest attributes of your dogs?
3) What are the weakest attributes of your dogs?
4) Any history of aggression in either line?
5) Rate cooperation on a scale of 1-10
6) Do they require you test the pups in NAVDHA? (Shouldn't be a deal breaker at all, but good to know up front)
7) How many litters has the breeder had?
8) How have past litters from this dam performed? (Get a couple of names and call pup owners)
9) Any health issue history in either line?
10) How are they around strangers, kids, other dogs, and any other circumstances in your life (i.e. chickens, livestock, etc)
11) Do you think one of your pups would do well in our home environment as described?

If a breeder isn't willing to spend an hour or so with you on the phone, find another breeder. They should be willing and happy to talk about their dogs, but they should not be SELLING you a dog. They should ask about your training experience, how much you hunt, what you hunt, where you hunt, time of year you hunt. It should be an interview of you as well.

If they can't describe weaknesses of their dogs, find another breeder because they are not being honest or they are dumb. A dog should have the mental stability to be crated all day while you're at work and not go off the rails when you get home. Do your due diligence and don't get suckered in by cute pictures. A pain in the ass dog will be with you as long as a good dog. I'd rather have the latter.

Good luck!
Great outline for shopping for a pup. All the above and my final test is get all the pups in a rolling mass on the other side of the barn, get down on your knees and see which one knocks the others over getting to you. That’s your dog.

They spend their free time in Alaska watching for grizz. Several times a day their efforts are rewarded. Things do get western if the bears are on our side of the river.

Attachments

• A7956E69-1D31-4019-86A9-2BF5D141882E.jpeg
    A7956E69-1D31-4019-86A9-2BF5D141882E.jpeg
    1,018.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 87A114E9-A26A-4D4B-81FA-1E3906B6D600.jpeg
    87A114E9-A26A-4D4B-81FA-1E3906B6D600.jpeg
    854.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 10F9322D-81DF-40E5-9AD1-0E350662AEA8.jpeg
    10F9322D-81DF-40E5-9AD1-0E350662AEA8.jpeg
    672.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 3E1FC615-8906-45D0-993E-54ED0D0859B3.jpeg
    3E1FC615-8906-45D0-993E-54ED0D0859B3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • A64F43EB-C384-4026-A297-5D3ED069E987.jpeg
    A64F43EB-C384-4026-A297-5D3ED069E987.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • B2876E01-5936-4717-A1C4-B917C93BD8A5.jpeg
    B2876E01-5936-4717-A1C4-B917C93BD8A5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
We have come to the decision that we are considering getting a German Shorthair Pointer. We have narrowed it down to a couple breeder's. For those GSP owner's what advice would you give on looking to purcahse your first GSP? What have you found to be pro's and con's of this breed? Any and all input is greatly appreciated!

I would ask the breeder a lot of questions. Do they fit your hunting style, what are the testing backgrounds? How far do they range?

Pro's- great dogs. They are super motivated and energetic. They love to work.

Cons-Bit bull headed and independent. Got to be consistent on training. They have endless energy so you really need to exercise them daily.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back