Yeti GOBOX Collection

General Elk tag Wyoming

Bryan Tribble

After consulting with Mike & Guy Eastman I am probably going to hunt east of Afton. Not sure if there are roads to back in the back country or do I just hike. I am 60 yrs old and in good shape for my age, but not crazy enough to go back in the woods more than a couple of miles. Getting in is easy, getting out if you get something would be tough. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Bryan Tribble

After consulting with Mike & Guy Eastman

Well you already fugged up there ;)

If your worried about the packout I'd hunt areas that have a few roads in them. Not the heavily roaded areas but ones that have multiple main roads. I would focus on the stands of timber right next to the roads. Still hunt through them and hope to get a shot at an elk before it runs off.

I know plenty of people that kill elk every year and they don't road hunt. They just hunt the timber patches close to roads. Some have even killed bulls with size that will rival any limited quota elk area in the state.

Numerous times I've seen elk that will spend a whole season in a patch of timber adjacent to a road that gets a lot of traffic. If they feel safe there they have no reason to move. Hunters will continue to drive past going to better areas. Typically these elk are nocturnal and you will not see them in the early morning/late evening. To find the best stands just look in good meadows close by and see if elk are browsing in them.

Whats great is as the season goes on the big stands of timber close the to roads get better and better.

hunt up hill and buy a Bull pac www.bullpacs.com/ and learn to bone out game if you dont already. You didn't go worng talking with Guy and Mike they just dont get a lot of love on this or any hunting fourms for the most part good luck

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back