Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Gear/Equipment List

IsThisHeaven?

I am going on a blackpowder deer hunt in Canada this fall. I went to Wyoming and hunted antelope and mule deer last fall, and I'm planning future DIY trips similar to these. I am trying to put together a gear list that I can keep and use on my hunt this fall and future hunts. I understand that each hunt will be different and have different requirements, so there's no perfect list. Does anyone have and thoughts on putting together a list like this? Thank you.

My wife has this one figured out. She always asks me... Do you have your gun? Do you have bullets? Do you have your license? Do you have a knife?

Everything else is gravy, but those are required.

One thing I will say is "Buy the best gear you can afford." I have been upgrading all my gear to stuff like Sitka and Kuiu over the last 5-6 years. I had Kings camo and some other no name stuff. Did it work? Yes Did it work as good? No I have found that with better gear and clothing my hunts are more enjoyable.

Okay, I thought I had this typed out somewhere but can't find it so I'll make an attempt at a real list.

Rifle, Bullets, License.

This is what's in my backpack.

Ziplock bag with compass, map of the area I'm going to be in, matches and a lighter.
Small lightweight first aid kit (a few pills, bandaids, antiseptic, tape, etc.
Ziplock bag with nitrile gloves in it
Game bags (I use the Caribou brand ones)
Havalon knife with extra blades in the sheath
Medium sized multi-tool
Caping knife and sharpener
5 or 6 zipties of various lengths
small roll of electric tape (a little over 1/2 gone)
small roll of duct tape (just a little left on the roll - I keep this crunched in half)
2 small pulleys that will fit parachute cord
100' of parachute cord
firestarting kit (magnesium)
spare batteries for my GPS (with electrical tape around them)
tiny little flexible tripod to use for field photos
cannon powershot camera
Garmin 62S GPS
headlamp
extra headlamp
spare batteries for headlamps

Depending on what time of year it is, etc., I'll have some extra base layers in the bag, rain gear, etc. Generally have some food in there, lunch, snacks, etc.
Always have an extra pair of dry socks
Carry a 3 liter water bladder in my backpack

Generally carry my phone and sometimes a small lithium USB battery pack that will charge it
Wallet

Binoculars and rangefinder

At the truck I will have a couple coolers to put meat in depending on the time of year. Also more rope and pulleys to hang meat, again depending on time of year.

This will be my first time to overnight backpack hunt. In addition to the items above I'm planning on.

Hauling in all my food, probably going with mountain house meals and gorp I think I can live on this for the 5 days I plan on being back in there. Might throw in some candy bars, I'm a sucker for sweets.

Have a Primos Express stove and the cookset that goes with it.

Leaning toward using a sawyer squeeze for my water filtration, I'll probably pack some iodine tablets in case my filter freezes.

Lightweight tent, sleeping pad, down bag are also extra.

Haven't really decided on the extra clothes to pack. Maybe an extra pair of underwear and a couple extra pairs of socks. For sure not planning on bringing an entire change of clothes, but I will probably leave a set at the truck to change into after I get out so I don't have to smell myself all the way home. When I'm hunting out of a true base camp (i.e. that I don't have to carry on my back) I do bring enough clothes to change every couple days though.

I'm leaning toward hauling in a base camp and setting it up and leaving the tent, sleeping bag, food, etc. there during the day while I hunt with a lighter pack and then coming back to the tent each evening. Not 100% sure on this though, I may pack up camp and carry it with me each day if I'm not seeing much sign close by. Might be where I go out in the early morning light and then come back to camp in the mid day and pack it up and hunt heavy that evening if I'm moving spots and then setup that night in the dark.

That's a quick rundown of what I'm thinking anyway. It might be useful. I'm sure there are detailed lists out there if you do some searching.

Good luck. Nathan

Last edited:
Nice list Nathan. Mines pretty similar. I moved my electrical tape to my trekking poles,just a few wraps around each one right under the handle. While not as extensive as most First aid kits,Take a 500 count Ibuprofen bottle,wrap as much Duct tape around it as you think you might need,cut a piece of Mole skin to fit the inside walls and bottom and then load with your Meds and Vitamins.

Looking through my list I forgot a pretty important item there.

Toilet paper!!

Also, sometimes I end up throwing a space blanket in there. They are cheap and very lightweight. I've used them before as a clean area to place meat before putting it in game bags.

I do recommend some chapstick as well, I'm normally not a chapstick kind of guy, but in the mountains I do use it.

Last edited:
I will add tweezers to the list.......tick and splinter removal. My multi-tool has a pair of "tweezers" that won't do what I need them to do. A tube of antibiotic ointment with "pain killer" can really make scrapes chafes and cuts feel better, and might head off a nasty trip ruining infection.

As a dentist I have to add toothbrush and floss. 1001 uses for floss!!

Here's my list for my Alaska trip this year. These are screen shots, so parts of the list appear redundant...

D7592B37-2C2F-47A2-877B-AF9F73F6747F-12017-000009A675831A7C_zps674094d1.jpg

2C54B882-5B81-4DCC-BE2F-181EDA2938F3-12017-000009A66E0E216F_zps31a77207.jpg

F1096519-A8D3-4CA6-8166-016880E837FC-12017-000009A6662F1A92_zps09138fe8.jpg

22CCF7BF-1AF7-4AA5-BB16-984966AB8FEB-12017-000009A659AB9220_zps4f2346da.jpg

ITH- I have a master Excel spread sheet for my hunting gear.

Sheet #1 is my master sheet which has everything I own, including carry weights on items that I carry on my person.

I then have additional worksheets for each type of hunt. (Mule Deer, Elk). I do this as generally when I hunt MD, I am day hunting vs elk I am on a 2 week backcountry hunt). I then delete items on the species specific sheet. I can see the impact of my pack wirght as I add/delete items.

There are some good websites to use as a starting point for your sheet. (They have the formulas already developed). If you send me a PM with your e-mail, I can send some samples your way. (If I were starting from square 1, I know that is how I would do it.)

Great list and the narrative you provide explaining the why you're bringing certain items is very helpful. I really appreciate the time you put in to help me out. Thank you.

Okay, I thought I had this typed out somewhere but can't find it so I'll make an attempt at a real list.

Rifle, Bullets, License.

This is what's in my backpack.

Ziplock bag with compass, map of the area I'm going to be in, matches and a lighter.
Small lightweight first aid kit (a few pills, bandaids, antiseptic, tape, etc.
Ziplock bag with nitrile gloves in it
Game bags (I use the Caribou brand ones)
Havalon knife with extra blades in the sheath
Medium sized multi-tool
Caping knife and sharpener
5 or 6 zipties of various lengths
small roll of electric tape (a little over 1/2 gone)
small roll of duct tape (just a little left on the roll - I keep this crunched in half)
2 small pulleys that will fit parachute cord
100' of parachute cord
firestarting kit (magnesium)
spare batteries for my GPS (with electrical tape around them)
tiny little flexible tripod to use for field photos
cannon powershot camera
Garmin 62S GPS
headlamp
extra headlamp
spare batteries for headlamps

Depending on what time of year it is, etc., I'll have some extra base layers in the bag, rain gear, etc. Generally have some food in there, lunch, snacks, etc.
Always have an extra pair of dry socks
Carry a 3 liter water bladder in my backpack

Generally carry my phone and sometimes a small lithium USB battery pack that will charge it
Wallet

Binoculars and rangefinder

At the truck I will have a couple coolers to put meat in depending on the time of year. Also more rope and pulleys to hang meat, again depending on time of year.

This will be my first time to overnight backpack hunt. In addition to the items above I'm planning on.

Hauling in all my food, probably going with mountain house meals and gorp I think I can live on this for the 5 days I plan on being back in there. Might throw in some candy bars, I'm a sucker for sweets.

Have a Primos Express stove and the cookset that goes with it.

Leaning toward using a sawyer squeeze for my water filtration, I'll probably pack some iodine tablets in case my filter freezes.

Lightweight tent, sleeping pad, down bag are also extra.

Haven't really decided on the extra clothes to pack. Maybe an extra pair of underwear and a couple extra pairs of socks. For sure not planning on bringing an entire change of clothes, but I will probably leave a set at the truck to change into after I get out so I don't have to smell myself all the way home. When I'm hunting out of a true base camp (i.e. that I don't have to carry on my back) I do bring enough clothes to change every couple days though.

I'm leaning toward hauling in a base camp and setting it up and leaving the tent, sleeping bag, food, etc. there during the day while I hunt with a lighter pack and then coming back to the tent each evening. Not 100% sure on this though, I may pack up camp and carry it with me each day if I'm not seeing much sign close by. Might be where I go out in the early morning light and then come back to camp in the mid day and pack it up and hunt heavy that evening if I'm moving spots and then setup that night in the dark.

That's a quick rundown of what I'm thinking anyway. It might be useful. I'm sure there are detailed lists out there if you do some searching.

Good luck. Nathan

ITH- I have a master Excel spread sheet for my hunting gear.

Sheet #1 is my master sheet which has everything I own, including carry weights on items that I carry on my person.

I then have additional worksheets for each type of hunt. (Mule Deer, Elk). I do this as generally when I hunt MD, I am day hunting vs elk I am on a 2 week backcountry hunt). I then delete items on the species specific sheet. I can see the impact of my pack wirght as I add/delete items.

I have the same system... For my CO archery deer hunt this year, I've parsed it down to just my backpacking list, and then created a new spreadsheet just for that hunt.

One thing I've noticed the last few years and in looking at my list is I have too much crap... I'm trying to simplify, but for a gearhead like me, it is difficult... :)

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back