Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Garmin Rino

I really like my 530hcx. It really is nice when you have an animal down for you hunting buddy to be able to walk right to you very easily. One caveat, the best maps for it are expensive, personally I believe they are worth it, but run around $99 for the 1:24k topo maps and only include several states. I have the WA/OR maps and the ID/MT/WY maps. But yeah, having an all in one unit is pretty damn sweet. Battery life is pretty good as well.

I have the 530. Well worth the money. Radio is more powerful, and more memory for maps. Love being able to send waypoints to partners, as well as keep track of each other. Only problem is if polling is on, other groups can keep track of you as well.

Money WELL spent to have a pair of 530hcx's.

As an add-on.. those of you using rinos-- how many of you have a GMRS licence? Or do you just use the FRS channels exclusively??

Spend the money toward an I pad. For nine bucks you can down load a nice topo ap. You can also cache google earth and have that at your fingertips. My brother and I used his on our last adventure around Bozeman. I'll never buy another GPS again after seeing what his did for us...not to mention all the other uses for them...movies, internet, etc.
I was impressed of how accurate it was.

sweet,

are you going to carry an Ipad around on the mountain?

FWIW, if I have cell signal I can use the google maps app on my black berry with which you can also look at aerial photos. The only drawback being that it doesn't display your location very accurately.

I have the Legend HCx right now and love the maps I have in it. The 530 HCx is on my very long "short list" of things to buy.

Anyone have a good site / store for picking up a garmin rhino 530 hcx? Been looking at these and it seems the refurbished come with the same warranty as the new ones... Have seen prices range from $499 - 358 with refurbs going for close to 320 or so...

I found on PCNATION refurbished Garmin Rhino 530Hcx units for $298.40 (picked up two). They have free shipping for FED EX 3 day. (refurbished hold the Garmin 1 year warranty as well)

http://www.pcnation.com/web/details.asp?item=6G0730

Goldtip mentioned the topo map accessory... Are you able to load other maps that are usable on the PC then transfer it to the GPS unit via usb cable or the SD card?

Any recomendations on good PC based topo's compatible with the 530hcx that you can put your stuff in on the PC and have it ready to route to the gps unit? I am interested in MT. The second one I purchased is for a friend who would mainly use it in California though plans to use it in MT as well... Suggestions?

try huntinggpsmaps.com. I am pretty sure they are 530 compatible and it seems they download to the computer and then your GPS, I haven't used them, but I think others on this site have and love them.

Thanks GoldTip.

Anyone use this? http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-BirdsEye-Satellite-Imagery-Card-P2330.aspx
With Garmin’s new BirdsEye Satellite Imagery, you can transfer an unlimited amount of satellite and aerial images to your Garmin handheld unit through a high speed internet connection. Having the ability layer Garmin Vector maps such as TOPO 100K, TOPO 24K, BlueChart, or Inland Lakes, will provide you with real life views of roads, buildings, terrain, and shorelines. These great features make it easy for hunters who want to pre-plan hunting trips, set up stands, and mark where you find the most game to hunt.
garmin-birdseye-satellite-imagery-topo-card-a.jpg

I haven't bought one yet but I like all the info thats shared. It's on the short term list for sure !!

I had a 520 and it was great but only if you have a kid. Without having it for kids (i know you do Oscar) I would say get a smaller GPS and some compact 2 way radios that have come waaaaay down in price.
I only had to option to use mine once when someone else had one and it worked pretty slick as he was trying to find me as I was hiking out of a mountain after I left my truck on the other side. But, since besides that time I had no use for the other funtions so I sold it and got a smaller gps without the radio.
They are just bigger than I care to have as a GPS

So.. I wanted to go down and pick up the 500 series but the new 600 series with touch screans seem cool. Worth the money ? Probably not ?!??!? Anyone have one ?

Mooosie I am Leary of the touch screen because rain and snow play heck with my Cell phone screen .

I'd want to test it out in some simulated weather before I dropped that much cash. Might be able to get the 500 series cheaper as was mentioned before...

looking for input on garmins "birds eye "imagry? has anybody tried it with the 62st gps and does anybody know if it is compatable when using the gpsmaps.com chips or down load?also any input on garmins new montana gps,,,$700 is alot to buy one,gonna wait and decide between the 62st or the montana,,,thanks.

see pointing dogs rule's post on the garmin bird's eye. I think both of those Garmin models will use the chips from huniing GPS since they take chips.

My thoughts on the chip for garmin from hunting gps maps is to not purchase the chip if you have a computer.
Go with the download - it is simple to use and allows you to use the computer to scroll the maps and select or place the complete state map on a blank SD chip that will hold all.
I initially went with the chip though returned it when I realized I could not view the maps on a computer - OR download / upload to the computer.
The computer simplifies the use of the garmin maps and allows you to incorporate your hunt points w/o looking at the small screen.
Also you can use the download on multiple computers. I have a laptop I have it installed on as well and it works great - worth the extra bit of money.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnbighunter
Back