Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Garmin mini versus explorer

jejack26

Looking to buy inreach for my daughter. I own an explorer and love it, but wonder about the advantages/disadvantages of the mini, other than size.

Mini advantages: slightly smaller, lighter, lower cost
Disadvantages: limited functionality if not paired to a smartphone

I bought my Explorer+ before the Mini was available, but even if the Mini had been an option I think I still would've chosen the Explorer+ to have a fully functional screen on the device itself and be less dependent on a smartphone. I typically have my Explorer+ paired to my phone so I can use the Earthmate app to view satellite imagery and type messages faster, but if the phone has problems, I can still view a topo map on the Explorer+.

^^^^what he said. We have both in our hinting group and the full functionality of the explorer is better in my opinion.

I have not used the explorer but I own the mini and really like it. It’s smaller, lighter and cheaper. I really only use it for communicating which is done easily with smartphone paired to it. I use onX for maps so I have my phone with me all the time anyway. I’m guessing your daughter doesn’t go anywhere without her phone either…

Explorer wins for me because it’s a backup GPS navigation unit and I’ve learned to not bet the farm on a phone / phone battery. I prefer double redundancy: phone + Garmin + map/compass

Explorer+ for me for the same reasons as above. The mini is nice, but if your phone battery dies, or you break it on a rock, your down to just the preset S.O.S. messages.

It’s only a few ounces more, but the added functionality is worth it in my opinion.

Explorer wins for me because it’s a backup GPS navigation unit and I’ve learned to not bet the farm on a phone / phone battery. I prefer double redundancy: phone + Garmin + map/compass
Explorer+ for me for the same reasons as above. The mini is nice, but if your phone battery dies, or you break it on a rock, your down to just the preset S.O.S. messages.

It’s only a few ounces more, but the added functionality is worth it in my opinion.
Same
I had trouble with phone batteries when I was in Alaska in 2021. The SE+ got me back to my tent when it socked in zero/zero.

Just to clarify, you can send and receive messages (custom, preset, and SOS) directly on the Mini without it being paired to a phone. It's a PITA to type on the Mini because of its small screen and limited number of buttons, but it can be done. Typing on an Explorer is easier (still not as easy as on a phone), but the real advantage is having a larger screen capable of displaying a map.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back