Caribou Gear

GARMIN inReach SE+ Discount Sale

Ryan2782

Just picked one up at Costco.com $229 and free shipping. It's $170.00 off Cabela's price. Regular price $400.00, must be a member, but costco membership is only $50 I think. Still great savings if you had to sign up for it. It's new, not refurbished too. Stated as supplies last and sale goes until 9/24.

I had the SPOT Gen3, was not that happy with function and reliability over all. I purchased this because of user reviews here. I wasn't sure where to post this, but if I need to move the post let me know, and I will do so.

https://www.costco.com/Garmin-inReach-SE+-Satellite-Communicator.product.100419295.html

freaking freaking frick, after I waited 3 years to buy one and bought it 2 weeks ago full price.

Just activated it, and tested. Very impressed so far. Still learning it though, but pairing it with maps on your phone is really cool too, and the ability to use your phone to type a message rather than the GPS unit is a plus too. After season I'll post more of what I liked or issues. So far, it's been a great decision, better than my old Gen3 and faster too.

I’ve been thinking about getting remote texting capability for awhile now. Anyone know exactly how much better the Explorer version is than the SE? Should I jump on this deal even though I don’t have any remote hunts planned in the next few years? Part of me is thinking I should hold off until the next version is released because it will be theoretically that much better. Any advice would be much appreciated!

I’ve been thinking about getting remote texting capability for awhile now. Anyone know exactly how much better the Explorer version is than the SE? Should I jump on this deal even though I don’t have any remote hunts planned in the next few years? Part of me is thinking I should hold off until the next version is released because it will be theoretically that much better. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Explorer is a waste of money. Use the money saved to buy OnXmaps for your smart phone. Stick with the InReach SE.

Explorer is a small screen with extremely limited resources, other than knowing where you are on that small map screen.

The wife and I are new to geocaching and are looking for a device. Can we use this for geocaching? Load OnXmaps to this too? Pretty new to gps tools in general and currently have OnXmaps on my cell phone.
Thanks,
Steve

This isn’t what you’d want for geocaching, nor can you run OnX on it. The big functions are being able to communicate with loved ones from the back country (no cell signal) and send an SOS signal to get you out of a real bind. I just got mine in the mail yesterday. It’s one piece of hunting equipment that my wife was actually glad I bought. ;)

They have an app for smart phone that syncs bluetooth and runs together if wanted. Type from your phone to send a custom message instead of using the GPS toggle switch(I really don't mind because you aren't have a conversation). The app on the phone works as a GPS, it's free. OnX is better. Basic plan for month to month contract is $25 yearly fee and $15/mo month to month, for 10 custom messages, and 3 preset messages are unlimited. 0.50 ea additional custom message. Custom messages are sent and or received. In reality with the custom message, I find the preset messages not important since I'll basically turning it on for emergency's. I'm on $15 a month plan. So my hunting buddies can follow along for the ones that can't make the trip I have my 3 presets as follows - #1 checking in, everything is ok. (i'll do this at camp) #2 Wallow/bedding/rubs #3 ANIMAL DOWN!!! With all the messages sent it gives a link to a map where they can view where the message was sent and also coordinates. If you want to brag you shot an animal but don't want certain people to know where, do not send them a message. If truck breaks down I'll just use a custom message with details, makes it worth it. I'm headed out this weekend to test it out. I also listed myself as a contact on the presets so I get an e-mail of where I sent all my info from too.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back