MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Garmin GPS question from a new guy

reinert

Hello forum folks,

I'm a new guy here with my first question for ya'll. I'm looking to get my first GPS instrument, and have kind of decided on the Garmin oregon model, either the 450 or the 550. My question; Is the only real difference between the two is that the 550 has the built in camera? Does anyone out there have the 550, and is the camera worth the extra cost on the unit? I'll be using it primarily for hunting, and thought if the built-in camera was fair enough for the field, I wouldn't have to pack a real camera with me... one less thing in the day-pack.

Thank ye kindly,

reinert

If you are not one to take time to take quality pics while hunting or to take quality trophy photos then the crummy camera in the gps will suffice. Otherwise, it is an addition of marginal quality.

You need to evaluate the picture quality ( megapixels of gps camera versus same for good, small, cameras) and determine if it will meet your needs. Personally, the gps camera was not good enough for the pictures i want to take throughout scouting and hunting so i bought an oregen without a camera that is no better than my cell phone camera.

Last edited:
Back